Haas F1 team wants 'all the facts' before Santino Ferrucci decision

The Haas Formula 1 team "wants all the facts" before deciding whether to keep banned Formula 2 racer Santino Ferrucci as one of its junior drivers

Haas F1 team wants 'all the facts' before Santino Ferrucci decision

Ferrucci is banned for the Hungaroring and Spa rounds of the F2 championship after crashing into Trident team-mate Arjun Maini on the cool-down lap of the Silverstone sprint race.

He was also fined €66,000 for driving his F2 car without a glove, holding a mobile phone, between paddocks during the Silverstone weekend.

The American driver later apologised, citing what he called a "mental lapse" for his actions.

On Wednesday, Ferrucci was dropped by Trident and also by his management agency but his link with Haas remains.

Haas, which also has Maini as a junior, declared that planning for its German and Hungarian Grand Prix weekends was "more important" than making a decision about Ferrucci's future.

"Haas F1 Team remains committed to gathering all of the facts and having in-person conversations with all the individuals involved in the situation," said a statement given to Autosport.

"We are being diligent, but our priority is the last two races before the summer shutdown.

"While we want a better understanding of everything that took place, we aren't in a hurry because the German and Hungarian Grands Prix are, quite frankly, more important."

Immediately after the incident at Silverstone, Haas F1 team principal Gunther Steiner said that he would be investigating what had happened.

"I'm aware of the incident, I've seen it once on TV when they showed the race," he said.

"I didn't really realise, I didn't hear the audio, but I was made aware that there are some problems.

"I said I'm not going deal with them today, because we have a race to go to. I'm going deal with them in the week so I will get more information.

"I'm aware something happened but at the moment I don't have enough information."

Autosport understands that Trident is considering two different replacements for Ferrucci in F2, with a quick decision needed before the Hungary event begins on July 27.

shares
comments
F1 2018 game to have career rule changes shake up competitive order
Previous article

F1 2018 game to have career rule changes shake up competitive order

Next article

Lewis Hamilton completes new deal with Mercedes Formula 1 team

Lewis Hamilton completes new deal with Mercedes Formula 1 team
The combination behind the Silverstone racing battles Hamilton called "F1 at its best" Plus

The combination behind the Silverstone racing battles Hamilton called "F1 at its best"

OPINION: The late battling in the British Grand Prix wowed Formula 1 fans and surely represents the best racing action of the season so far. And there was a cocktail of factors that created the action, from which Carlos Sainz emerged as a popular new winner

How Ferrari’s Monaco headache became its Silverstone migraine Plus

How Ferrari’s Monaco headache became its Silverstone migraine

OPINION: Ferrari won the British Grand Prix with Carlos Sainz, but it ultimately cost Charles Leclerc a chance to make a bigger dent in Max Verstappen's title lead by leaving the Monegasque out on old tyres towards the end. Like Monaco, indecision over strategy proved to be the Scuderia's biggest issue - and if the team doesn't reflect, the headache can only intensify

The five factors behind Sainz winning a British GP he’d twice lost Plus

The five factors behind Sainz winning a British GP he’d twice lost

Formula 1 has a newest race winner, in a grand prix the victor appeared to have lost twice, only to charge back to headline a sensational and dramatic British Grand Prix. From a massive start crash to a late sprint finish, here’s how five factors saw Carlos Sainz take his maiden grand prix win

Formula 1
Jul 4, 2022
Why there was no case to answer in Aston’s latest F1 copycat saga Plus

Why there was no case to answer in Aston’s latest F1 copycat saga

The appearance of a revised Aston Martin in Spain caused controversy but PAT SYMONDS explains why the FIA investigation found the Silverstone team had no case to answer

Formula 1
Jul 3, 2022
Why it's Red Bull that really leads a three-way fight so far at Silverstone Plus

Why it's Red Bull that really leads a three-way fight so far at Silverstone

After a slow start to Friday at Silverstone, all the Formula 1 teams had to effectively cram in a day’s worth of practice into one hour. But there was still plenty to learn and while Ferrari topped the times, a three-way battle is brewing ahead of the British Grand Prix

Formula 1
Jul 2, 2022
Why the future is bright for the British GP Plus

Why the future is bright for the British GP

It wasn’t so long ago the situation looked bleak at Silverstone with the future of the British Grand Prix under threat. But a transformation has seen it restored to one of the most important races on the Formula 1 calendar, with bigger and better to come

Formula 1
Jul 1, 2022
Could mixed fortunes for F1's leading Brits turn around at Silverstone? Plus

Could mixed fortunes for F1's leading Brits turn around at Silverstone?

For the first time in many years, none of the local racers starts among the favourites for the British Grand Prix. But George Russell, Lewis Hamilton and Lando Norris could have reasons for optimism

Formula 1
Jun 30, 2022
Verstappen exclusive: Why F1’s champion isn’t fazed by Silverstone return Plus

Verstappen exclusive: Why F1’s champion isn’t fazed by Silverstone return

Max Verstappen is the world’s number one racing driver… and he’s determined to keep it that way. Speaking exclusively to GP Racing's OLEG KARPOV, the Red Bull driver explains why he’s relishing the 2022 championship battle with Charles Leclerc – and why he’s not worried about returning to Silverstone, the scene of the biggest accident of his career last year

Formula 1
Jun 30, 2022