Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

Super Formula
Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

How McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Feature
Formula 1
How McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

F1 2017: Kevin Magnussen not looking beyond Renault

Kevin Magnussen is keen to stay with the Renault Formula 1 team for 2017 and sees no reason to look elsewhere

Renault is treading water this season after the French firm's late reacquisition of Lotus compromised its 2016 campaign, and it is now focusing its efforts mainly on '17 preparation.

Magnussen backed that decision and expects to still be onboard to benefit from it next year.

"Even if we put full focus on this car, we're so far behind that it's not going to change a whole lot," he said.

"You'll see improvements but we're not going to start winning or be podium fighters.

"It will just make things a little bit better and we'll catch up a little bit.

"For my own situation it doesn't make any difference really.

"I assume that I'm going to be here for the future and I'm going to focus on the future."

The Dane, an eleventh hour replacement for Pastor Maldonado this year, believes he and Renault are on the same page regarding extending his deal.

"I've clearly made it obvious that I want to stay and I consider myself part of the team and part of the future," Magnussen said.

"I haven't seen any signs that I'm not that.

"Time will tell but I feel happy and I feel confident so we'll see what happens.

"It doesn't seem like there is any rush. I've been in this situation before and you never really know.

"I'm not only talking with Renault people. I know a lot of people and you always talk, so you know what's going on and keep your doors open.

"But at the moment I don't feel like I'm going to need it."

Magnussen's team-mate Jolyon Palmer, who has yet to score a point in his F1 rookie season, is unsure of his future and believes Renault has more urgent priorities than its 2017 driver line-up.

"I don't think the team's in a big rush for it," he said.

"The team was only bought seven months ago, they're still trying to understand where we're at and I don't see a need for a decision on drivers so early.

"I've got another load of races to show what I can do and I'm sure it's going to play out later in the season.

"I would say the summer break is when people start to think about next year more and for us I don't expect there's going to be any decision until much later in the season."

Previous article Hungarian Grand Prix Thursday F1 press conference full transcript
Next article Sebastian Vettel slams F1 radio rules as 'a joke'

Top Comments

Latest news