Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

LIVE: F1 Dutch GP updates - Leclerc leads sole practice session, Antonelli spins

Formula 1
Dutch GP
LIVE: F1 Dutch GP updates - Leclerc leads sole practice session, Antonelli spins

The hidden benefit of Verstappen’s new F1 deal that Red Bull wants to exploit

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
The hidden benefit of Verstappen’s new F1 deal that Red Bull wants to exploit

Ogier set for WRC return after Rally Finland crash

WRC
Rally del Paraguay
Ogier set for WRC return after Rally Finland crash

Why Alpine is banking on ‘powerful’ F1 car upgrade only Gasly will get in Zandvoort

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Alpine is banking on ‘powerful’ F1 car upgrade only Gasly will get in Zandvoort

Antrobus knocking on door at top of Autosport National Rankings

National
Antrobus knocking on door at top of Autosport National Rankings

Farewell Zandvoort: Our writers' personal highlights from the F1 Dutch GP

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Farewell Zandvoort: Our writers' personal highlights from the F1 Dutch GP

The themes to watch for the rest of F1 2026

Feature
Formula 1
The themes to watch for the rest of F1 2026

"Something needed to change" - What Cadillac F1 needs from its Budkowski era

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
"Something needed to change" - What Cadillac F1 needs from its Budkowski era

Sauber 2019 driver Antonio Giovinazzi doubts '17 F1 races will help

Antonio Giovinazzi doubts his 2017 Formula 1 race experience will help him in '19 because he expects his full-season debut to be "a lot" easier to approach

Giovinazzi will race for Sauber next season, two years after making his F1 debut as a stand-in for the injured Pascal Wehrlein.

The Italian driver took over Wehrlein's car on the morning of qualifying for the 2017 Australian Grand Prix and contested the next race in China as well.

Giovinazzi has spent the time since then in a test and reserve driver role for Sauber and Ferrari.

Asked if he thought the experience from 2018 would be a help, Giovinazzi said: "Unfortunately it's already a long time ago. It's the beginning of last year!

"It was not a full weekend [in Australia], it was only on Saturday.

"In China I missed FP1 and FP2 because of the weather so I started again from FP3.

"It was difficult to approach, but fortunately next year will be a lot more easy.

"I will have the winter tests in Barcelona and I will be a lot more ready when I arrive in Melbourne."

Giovinazzi has contested one race since crashing out of the 2017 Chinese GP (pictured above), this year's Le Mans 24 Hours with the AF Corse Ferrari GTE team.

The 2016 GP2 Series runner-up said he has missed the pressure of racing full-time.

"I can't wait to be honest," he said.

"I miss the pressure of the race weekend and also the race on Sunday.

"For now, I'm relaxed in FP1, doing my job. I can't wait until next year for the real pressure.

"It will be quite tough for the first races. I have a world champion [Kimi Raikkonen] beside me, who has a lot of years in F1.

"I need to do my job, try to improve race-by-race, and we'll see at the end of the year if we did a good job or not."

Previous article Sainz confused by '18 Renault F1 car's qualifying instability issue
Next article The role Bottas hates but must embrace

Top Comments

Latest news