Massa: Karting brawlers will face "consequences", FIA to investigate

Felipe Massa says those involved in the events which overshadowed the FIA World Karting Finals at Lonato will face "consequences" for their "unacceptable" behaviour, with the FIA opening an investigation

Massa: Karting brawlers will face "consequences", FIA to investigate

Former Ferrari Formula 1 driver Massa, the president of the FIA's International karting commission since last December, was writing on Instagram after video footage of two incidents at Sunday's Italian kart race went viral on social media.

Italian driver Luca Corberi, who had entered in the KZ category, was first seen detaching a bumper from his crashed kart and waiting at the side of the track.

Then he attempted to throw his bumper at rival Paolo Ippolito, who he had been involved in a collision with shortly beforehand.

The bumper missed Ippolito and bounced harmlessly off another kart. Corberi then ignored officials trying to get him away from the side of the circuit.

After the race, a fresh video emerged of Corberi appearing to attack Ippolito in parc ferme, resulting in a brawl involving several unidentified individuals.

Corberi was excluded from the meeting, while Ippolito was also excluded from the race for his part in the initial contact.

Announcing its intention to launch an official investigation, a short statement from the FIA said: "The FIA and ACI are deeply concerned by the disturbing events that occurred yesterday during the FIA Karting KZ World Championship in Lonato, Italy involving drivers, team members and track officials.

"The FIA has launched an immediate investigation into the incidents."

Massa, who recently departed the Venturi Formula E squad, was present at the Lonato track on Sunday and posted on Instagram that action would be taken against the individuals involved.

He wrote alongside images of the two incidents: "This behaviour is unacceptable in our sport. Those individuals will face the consequences of their action."

Responding to the incidents, several top racing drivers called for action to be taken against Corberi and his father, who owns the circuit.

These included 2009 world champion Jenson Button, who said that the pair should face lifetime bans from competition.

Labelling them "idiots", Button wrote: "Luca Corberi has just destroyed any chance he had at a racing career after his disgusting behaviour today at the FIA Karting World champs."

shares
comments
Engineer's view: Motorsport's revolutionary braking tool
Previous article

Engineer's view: Motorsport's revolutionary braking tool

Next article

Karter Corberi vows to never race again after fight

Karter Corberi vows to never race again after fight
Why romanticism isn't the key factor in Lola’s racing return Plus

Why romanticism isn't the key factor in Lola’s racing return

The iconic Lola name is being relaunched after it was taken over by new ownership. Part of that reboot is a planned return to racing, though the exact details of this are still to be finalised - though its new owner does have a desire to bring the brand back to the Le Mans 24 Hours. But romanticism doesn't appear to be the driving force behind this renewed project...

General
Jul 14, 2022
Rating the best drivers of the century so far Plus

Rating the best drivers of the century so far

Autosport's Top 50 feature has been a staple of the magazine for the past two decades since its first appearance in 2002. Here are the drivers that have featured most prevalently during that time

General
Jan 7, 2022
The best motorsport moments of 2021 Plus

The best motorsport moments of 2021

Motorsport produced one of its greatest years of all-time in 2021 despite a backdrop of ongoing COVID-19 challenges and an ever-changing racing landscape. Through the non-stop action Autosport has collected the finest moments from the past 12 months to highlight the incredible drama and joy motorsport generates

General
Dec 31, 2021
The racing comeback artists who resurrected long-dormant careers Plus

The racing comeback artists who resurrected long-dormant careers

Making it in motorsport can be tough, and sometimes drivers move elsewhere before their best chance arrives. Here are some of those who made it back

General
Dec 26, 2021
The hidden racing gem attracting ex-F1 heroes Plus

The hidden racing gem attracting ex-F1 heroes

It’s rarely mentioned when it comes to assessing the best national contests, but the Brazilian Stock Car series that reaches its climax this weekend has an ever-growing appeal. Its expanding roster of ex-Formula 1 names has helped to draw in new fans, but it's the closeness of competition that keeps them watching

General
Dec 10, 2021
The one-time Schumacher rival rebooting his career Down Under Plus

The one-time Schumacher rival rebooting his career Down Under

Joey Mawson made waves in the middle of the last decade, beating future Haas Formula 1 driver Mick Schumacher - among other highly-rated talents - to the 2016 German F4 title. A run in F1's feeder GP3 category only caused his career to stall, but now back in Australia Mawson's S5000 title success has set that to rights

General
May 8, 2021
The lesson football’s would-be wreckers could learn from racing Plus

The lesson football’s would-be wreckers could learn from racing

OPINION: The greed-driven push for a European Super League that threatened to tear football apart is collapsing at the seams. Motor racing's equivalent, the football-themed Superleague Formula series of 2008-11, was everything that the proposed ESL never could be

General
Apr 21, 2021
The F1 and Indy 'nearly man' that found contentment in Japan Plus

The F1 and Indy 'nearly man' that found contentment in Japan

Having had the door to F1 slammed in his face and come within three laps of winning the Indianapolis 500, the collapse of a Peugeot LMP1 shot meant Japan was Bertrand Baguette's last chance of a career. But it's one which he has grasped with both hands

General
Feb 27, 2021