Mexico Formula E back-up race boosted by fan attendance go-ahead

The viability of Formula E’s backup plan to host a Mexican race near the city of Puebla has been boosted by limited fan attendance being permitted for local sporting events.

Mexico Formula E back-up race boosted by fan attendance go-ahead

A round in Mexico City at the usual Circuit Hermanos Rodriguez venue was initially scheduled for 13 February this season, the second round of the calendar, before it was then postponed in October.

In a bid to achieve a record 15-race schedule, championship organisers have since been assessing a return to Mexico as part of an ‘Americas leg’ that incorporates Santiago and New York.

However, the Circuit Hermanos Rodriguez currently houses a temporary hospital, which has left Formula E “looking at back-up alternative tracks”, according to championship chief executive officer Jamie Reigle.

The lesser-known Autodromo Miguel E. Abed, near Puebla, has since emerged as a prime contender to stage a Formula E race in Mexico, the track having hosted the World Touring Car Championship between 2005 and ’09.

FIA president Jean Todt confirmed this interest in the configurable circuit, which is flanked by a 1.25-mile oval, at the Rome E-Prix last month.

He told select media: “We must [have] some creativity and decide to go on a circuit which is probably a bit different than a classic circuit.

“That's why it's decided in countries like Mexico where we know we cannot go in Mexico City.

“In this case, we go with a more specific circuit like in Puebla.

“On that you need creativity and adaptation.”

 

Autosport understands that there is already a proposed 1.8-mile layout of the Puebla track that has been discussed with Formula E in recent weeks.

On Monday, as reported by Milenio Diario, local government announced it will allow public to return to the stadium of the local Puebla football team in a limited capacity, having prohibited mass gatherings since 23 March 2020.

The local government has indicated this step is due to there being no indications of a third wave of infections at present.

Organisers have also now opened talks with the authorities to create a protocol that will allow a reduced number of fans to enter the Puebla racetrack.

Formula E co-founder and chief championship officer Alberto Longo has previously told Autosport that rounds added to the 2021 calendar have been organised with the understanding that the public will be able to attend should local restrictions allow.

Autosport also understands that Formula E has delayed its announcement of a further batch of races to bolster the 2021 calendar.

This follows both the Rome and Valencia rounds being boosted to double-header events, while Marrakech is set to fall off the calendar.

shares
comments

Related video

Formula E to create F1-style Concorde Agreement to boost audience

Previous article

Formula E to create F1-style Concorde Agreement to boost audience

Next article

Todt calls on media to give Formula E more coverage

Todt calls on media to give Formula E more coverage
Load comments

About this article

Series Formula E
Author Matt Kew
How Formula E stood up to F1 comparisons in Monaco Plus

How Formula E stood up to F1 comparisons in Monaco

OPINION: It was no surprise to anybody that the laptimes achieved by Formula E cars on the full Monaco circuit were much slower than Formula 1. But perhaps the more relevant comparison was in the racing spectacle, where FE delivered in spades

How Monaco dealt Formula E a winning hand to cure its hangover Plus

How Monaco dealt Formula E a winning hand to cure its hangover

Formula E faced much criticism in the wake of its maligned Valencia event. In need of a turnaround, the series' first use of Monaco's iconic Formula 1 layout provided it with the injection of thrills required to clear the fog that had enveloped the paddock

Formula E
May 10, 2021
How Valencia E-Prix farce left Formula E with an image problem Plus

How Valencia E-Prix farce left Formula E with an image problem

Formula E was under the microscope at Valencia, on its first visit to a permanent circuit. But after a mere nine drivers were left classified following Saturday's Valencia E-Prix, the electric championship once more faced criticism after rising energy deductions and miscalculations produced a farcical affair

Formula E
Apr 25, 2021
The silver bullet signing that has launched Jaguar into title contention Plus

The silver bullet signing that has launched Jaguar into title contention

It's taken a long time for Jaguar to reach the cusp of contending for championships in Formula E. But, after last season's challenge crumbled in Berlin, the team has been bolstered by a top-line arrival who has helped to end an unwanted 30-year wait

Formula E
Apr 22, 2021
How Vergne and Vandoorne found redemption in Rome Plus

How Vergne and Vandoorne found redemption in Rome

Another Formula E double-header, another double dose of frantic action. While the form guide remains unpredictable following fightback wins for Jean-Eric Vergne and Stoffel Vandoorne in Rome, the speed and consistency of Mercedes – both on and off the track – could have its rivals worried for what is to follow

Formula E
Apr 12, 2021
What Nissan's commitment to Gen3 reveals about Formula E's future Plus

What Nissan's commitment to Gen3 reveals about Formula E's future

Formula E's Gen3 era grid continues to take shape, after Nissan opted to commit to the series for another four years. Nissan's global chief operating officer explains why it has thrown its lot in with FE while other high-profile marques have decided to call it quits

Formula E
Mar 24, 2021
Why the new Formula E season got off to such a controversial start Plus

Why the new Formula E season got off to such a controversial start

With the new Formula E season belatedly getting underway in Saudi Arabia, the championship appeared to try to make up for lost time with an overspill of action and controversy on and off the track. While some talking points could have serious repercussions, it was an explosive opener for many reasons

Formula E
Mar 1, 2021
How Andretti is planning for life after BMW Plus

How Andretti is planning for life after BMW

Michael Andretti's team is a Formula E ever-present and that's not about to change despite BMW's forthcoming exit. But, with both its drivers contracted to the German giant and McLaren weighing up a possible entry, some key decisions lie ahead

Formula E
Feb 26, 2021