Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

F1 Canadian GP: Russell defeats Antonelli to Canada F1 sprint pole

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell defeats Antonelli to Canada F1 sprint pole

Red Bull F1 team boss: "No intention behind" public meeting between Verstappen and Wolff

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull F1 team boss: "No intention behind" public meeting between Verstappen and Wolff

F1 compromise to make 2027 engine change could include shortening races

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 compromise to make 2027 engine change could include shortening races

Mercedes and McLaren debut host of updates at F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Mercedes and McLaren debut host of updates at F1 Canadian GP

F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli fastest ahead of sprint qualifying, Russell spins

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli fastest ahead of sprint qualifying, Russell spins

What Kyle Busch meant to NASCAR and the modern fan

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
What Kyle Busch meant to NASCAR and the modern fan

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell takes sprint pole ahead of Antonelli

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell takes sprint pole ahead of Antonelli

Stoffel Vandoorne's McLaren-Honda suffered loss of power in Monza Q3

Stoffel Vandoorne says he was hampered in final qualifying at Formula 1's Italian Grand Prix, as his McLaren suffered a loss of power from its Honda engine

The Belgian rookie made Q3 for the fourth time this year, putting himself into the top 10 shoot-out with a last-second improvement in the second segment on a wet track.

But Vandoorne could do no better than 3.6s off the pace in Q3 to qualifying 10th, although he is set to start eighth due to penalties for the Red Bull cars ahead.

"To be in Q3 in Monza has been a pretty good afternoon, the conditions were definitely not easy," Vandoorne said.

"A little bit of a shame, we didn't really have a proper shot in Q3 because we had a loss of engine power, which hurt our performance.

"We didn't really have a chance to get a good lap, because that's really the session where you try to find the proper limit, you take some extra risks and fully know the conditions.

"At the moment we don't know what the issue is but tomorrow we're still in a reasonable position."

Team-mate Fernando Alonso was resigned to starting at the back of the grid heading into qualifying, courtesy of a 35-place grid penalty.

He progressed from Q1 but only did four laps in Q2 and didn't make the final segment, finishing seven tenths off Vandoorne.

"We didn't want to pass my team-mate because he was 10th [at the time] and if I had been in Q3, I would have kicked him out," Alonso said.

"Since I'm starting last at least we wanted a car in Q3, so we went out with the engine in practice mode, with used tyres from Q1.
"Seeing the times I think it would have been possible to be in the top five with the rain.

"Let's hope we have more rain when we have no penalties - or on Sunday instead of Saturday."

Despite the power-demanding nature of the Monza circuit, Vandoorne believes he will have a prime opportunity to add to his sole point in 2017 on Sunday even if the track stays dry.

"We've been pretty strong in the dry all weekend so I'm really optimistic, hopefully we can have a good start and then kind of hang on there with the cars in front," he said.

"The cars in front, they're pretty quick, they're fast cars in qualifying trim, but maybe in the race we can have a good go."

Previous article Haas team boss Steiner to discuss qualifying decision with Whiting
Next article Red Bull feels it was right to take F1 grid penalties at Monza

Top Comments

Latest news