Sauber rules out signing Rubens Barrichello for F1 race seat

Sauber team boss Monisha Kaltenborn has ruled out any possibility of Rubens Barrichello returning to the Formula 1 grid with her team in 2014

Sauber rules out signing Rubens Barrichello for F1 race seat

Barrichello, the most experienced driver in F1 history, had been linked with Sauber during the Korean Grand Prix build-up, both for next season and a possible return for his home grand prix in Brazil in November.

Although AUTOSPORT understands that privately the team did not consider Barrichello as a realistic option, Kaltenborn had left the door open when quizzed about the rumour on Thursday.

But after qualifying she told reporters that her equivocal comments were just motivated by respect for the veteran Brazilian.

"I am ruling out that he would drive for us. Maybe it is better if one is that clear about it," Kaltenborn was quoted as saying by Reuters.

"I have a lot of respect for Rubens, and I didn't think it was right that I just so abruptly say 'No, we are not going to talk.'"

$15 MILLION BUDGET

AUTOSPORT understands that Barrichello approached Sauber with a budget in the region of $15 million.

The future of the team's current drivers Nico Hulkenberg and Esteban Gutierrez is uncertain, with the German linked to several other drives.

Sauber has committed to running Russian teenager Sergey Sirotkin, the protege of the team's new investors, next season if he is ready for a race seat.

Barrichello last raced in F1 with Williams in 2011, turning to first IndyCar then Brazil's V8 Stock Car series when he lost his drive.

He made it clear in a Twitter post on Saturday morning that he was still keen to make a comeback.

"Lots of things have being said this week about a possible F1 return," the 41-year-old wrote. "The truth is: if there is an opportunity, I'm in."

Mercedes team boss Ross Brawn employed Barrichello at both Ferrari and Honda/Brawn in the 2000s.

Asked about the possibility of his ex-driver returning to F1, Brawn replied: "Well, it would be very entertaining I'm sure. I love to see him in the paddock, he is always good fun.

"He's a real enthusiast and he was still pretty quick when he stopped."

AUTOSPORT says
Edd Straw, F1 editor

It is impossible not to admire Rubens Barrichello's determination still to be a grand prix driver even at the age of 41 after two years out. With his remarkable CV, including a record 322 starts and 11 victories, he has nothing left to prove and plenty of laurels to rest on in his enforced F1 retirement.

Having raced in IndyCar in 2012 after losing his Williams drive, he has competed in Brazil's V8 Stock Car series this year, proving he has lost none of his competitive spirit.

Alongside that, he has been working hard to pull in the finances needed to get himself back on the grid even though he would turn 42 early in the 2014 season. That is a task that requires true determination.

But Sauber team principal Monisha Kaltenborn's comments on Thursday, when she did not rule out Rubens and left the door open to him being considered, appear to have been made out of politeness and respect for the Brazilian's record rather than seeing him as a realistic proposition.

While on the plus side, he has vast experience and a great record and would unquestionably still be able to do a decent job (both Michael Schumacher and Pedro de la Rosa have performed credibly in F1 while in their 40s this decade), his signing would not exactly be a forward-looking move for a team like Sauber.

And for any driver, even one as good as Barrichello, returning to the grand prix grid after a two-year absence would be a steep challenge. While his expertise would appeal given the vast changes in F1 in 2014, his lack of continuous experience is a negative.

If Rubens does make it back onto the grid, good luck to him. He will not be out of place.

But with 19 years of distinguished F1 service under his belt, perhaps it's time to accept that his time has passed?

shares
comments
Korean GP: Nico Hulkenberg reckons Sauber's pace is genuine
Previous article

Korean GP: Nico Hulkenberg reckons Sauber's pace is genuine

Next article

Korean GP: final grid line-up

Korean GP: final grid line-up
How Ferrari’s Monaco headache became its Silverstone migraine Plus

How Ferrari’s Monaco headache became its Silverstone migraine

OPINION: Ferrari won the British Grand Prix with Carlos Sainz, but it ultimately cost Charles Leclerc a chance to make a bigger dent in Max Verstappen's title lead by leaving the Monegasque out on old tyres towards the end. Like Monaco, indecision over strategy proved to be the Scuderia's biggest issue - and if the team doesn't reflect, the headache can only intensify

The five factors behind Sainz winning a British GP he’d twice lost Plus

The five factors behind Sainz winning a British GP he’d twice lost

Formula 1 has a newest race winner, in a grand prix the victor appeared to have lost twice, only to charge back to headline a sensational and dramatic British Grand Prix. From a massive start crash to a late sprint finish, here’s how five factors saw Carlos Sainz take his maiden grand prix win

Formula 1
Jul 4, 2022
Why there was no case to answer in Aston’s latest F1 copycat saga Plus

Why there was no case to answer in Aston’s latest F1 copycat saga

The appearance of a revised Aston Martin in Spain caused controversy but PAT SYMONDS explains why the FIA investigation found the Silverstone team had no case to answer

Formula 1
Jul 3, 2022
Why it's Red Bull that really leads a three-way fight so far at Silverstone Plus

Why it's Red Bull that really leads a three-way fight so far at Silverstone

After a slow start to Friday at Silverstone, all the Formula 1 teams had to effectively cram in a day’s worth of practice into one hour. But there was still plenty to learn and while Ferrari topped the times, a three-way battle is brewing ahead of the British Grand Prix

Formula 1
Jul 2, 2022
Why the future is bright for the British GP Plus

Why the future is bright for the British GP

It wasn’t so long ago the situation looked bleak at Silverstone with the future of the British Grand Prix under threat. But a transformation has seen it restored to one of the most important races on the Formula 1 calendar, with bigger and better to come

Formula 1
Jul 1, 2022
Could mixed fortunes for F1's leading Brits turn around at Silverstone? Plus

Could mixed fortunes for F1's leading Brits turn around at Silverstone?

For the first time in many years, none of the local racers starts among the favourites for the British Grand Prix. But George Russell, Lewis Hamilton and Lando Norris could have reasons for optimism

Formula 1
Jun 30, 2022
Verstappen exclusive: Why F1’s champion isn’t fazed by Silverstone return Plus

Verstappen exclusive: Why F1’s champion isn’t fazed by Silverstone return

Max Verstappen is the world’s number one racing driver… and he’s determined to keep it that way. Speaking exclusively to GP Racing's OLEG KARPOV, the Red Bull driver explains why he’s relishing the 2022 championship battle with Charles Leclerc – and why he’s not worried about returning to Silverstone, the scene of the biggest accident of his career last year

Formula 1
Jun 30, 2022
Why Red Bull’s RB17 hypercar can help its F1 team Plus

Why Red Bull’s RB17 hypercar can help its F1 team

On Tuesday, Red Bull laid out its plans to develop and build a new hypercar - the RB17 - penned by Adrian Newey. As the project itself sates Newey as a creative outlet, it also offers Red Bull's Formula 1 team a number of new and exciting avenues to pursue

Formula 1
Jun 29, 2022