Subscribe

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Monza's hopes of new Italian Grand Prix F1 deal fading - Ecclestone

Bernie Ecclestone has cast fresh doubt over the future of the Italian Grand Prix at Monza after saying there is a "good chance" Formula 1 will lose the venue

Earlier this month, there were reports a regional financial package was close to being finalised to help Monza keep the Italian GP - news that Ecclestone welcomed.

DIETER RENCKEN: How could F1 risk losing Monza for Baku?

On Friday at Spa, the F1 commercial chief suggested Monza's hopes were fading.

"I don't know about Monza at the moment," said Ecclestone.

"I have meetings there in September so we will see.

"I hope we don't lose it but I think there is a good chance we will."

A lack of funds has stalled talks over a new deal, with Monza's current arrangement coming to an end next season.

Ecclestone remains resolute he will not give the venue a cut-price deal.

"We don't want give any more than we give other people," he said. "We want to give the same."

Monza has hosted the Italian GP every year since the world championship started in 1950, apart from 1980 when the event went to Imola.

GERMAN GP SITUATION UNCLEAR

Doubts also remain over the future of the German GP, which was dropped this season but is pencilled in for next season on the current iteration of the calendar.

The Nurburging was due to host the 2015 race on July 19, but talks with the track's new owners collapsed over the winter and Hockenheim was unable to step in.

When asked about the latest on the German GP, Ecclestone said: "Really I have no idea.

"We have a contract with Hockenheim until 2018 so let's see what happens.

"I hope they'll get some support. They need support from Germany."

He believes Hockenheim will become the event's regular home if its future is secured, ending the previous alternating deal with the Nurburgring.

"With the people who have taken over the Nurburgring, I don't think they are that interested," Ecclestone said.

"They are not racers. Hockenheim are."

Be part of Autosport community

Join the conversation
Previous article Red Bull and Kvyat penalised for unsafe Belgian GP pitlane release
Next article Bernie Ecclestone hopes BBC agrees new Formula 1 UK TV deal

Top Comments

There are no comments at the moment. Would you like to write one?

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe