Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Feature
Formula 1
Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Alex Marquez to miss next two MotoGP rounds after Barcelona crash

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
Alex Marquez to miss next two MotoGP rounds after Barcelona crash

How Hamilton switched to a "different approach" for F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How Hamilton switched to a "different approach" for F1 Canadian GP

Where you can find the best battles of F1 2026

Feature
Formula 1
Where you can find the best battles of F1 2026

Red Bull outlines timeline for new F1 wind tunnel

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull outlines timeline for new F1 wind tunnel

Monster to become Aprilia's title sponsor in MotoGP from Italian GP

MotoGP
Monster to become Aprilia's title sponsor in MotoGP from Italian GP

Why quirky Montreal will remain F1's true North American gem

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why quirky Montreal will remain F1's true North American gem

Why the real F1 pecking order won't be seen until Barcelona at the earliest

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why the real F1 pecking order won't be seen until Barcelona at the earliest

Michelin knows it must win Bernie Ecclestone over in F1 return bid

Michelin motorsport director Pascal Couasnon appreciates winning over a sceptical Bernie Ecclestone is key to the French tyre manufacturer's return to Formula 1

The battle for F1's next tyre-supply contract is a between Michelin and current incumbent Pirelli, with the FIA to deliver a verdict on the technical merits of both proposals by July 17.

If both are acceptable, then beyond that a decision as to which company will be handed the next deal - to run from 2017-19 - will be made by commercial rights holder Ecclestone.

Speaking to AUTOSPORT, Couasnon said: "There will be a very open and honest discussion and us saying to him 'here is the reason why we deserve to be in F1'.

"The drivers have expressed a wish to be given a new challenge, so we will put our facts on the table, and by the end of the day Bernie will decide, and we will respect his decision."

Ecclestone was to AUTOSPORT in May, underlining the difficulty for Couasnon in convincing the 84-year-old.

"It's always difficult to interpret what has been said previously. What is important for us is to do our job," asserted Couasnon.

"We know what we can deliver in Formula E and in sportscar racing, and it is on these facts we want to negotiate and have a good discussion."

Couasnon has warned Ecclestone, however, Michelin will not get involved in a bidding war with Pirelli for the new contract.

Pirelli contributes a substantial amount of money to F1 via trackside advertising, yet Couasnon said: "We will not do things that don't make sense for us.

"We will go with a proposal, and for sure that will be a package which will be debated.

"We know what we are ready to put on the table, and if [Ecclestone] goes over [with his demands], it's over, and if it's within what is reasonable for us, then it will be in hand."

Previous article Ferrari-supplied Haas Formula 1 team would consider customer cars
Next article McLaren's Jonathan Neale says F1 power unit penalties confuse fans

Top Comments