Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

WRC
Rally Japan
The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Feature
MotoGP
Catalan GP
Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

Formula 1
Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

Feature
MotoGP
What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

How Verstappen's Nurburgring adventure marked the next phase of his legacy

Feature
GT
How Verstappen's Nurburgring adventure marked the next phase of his legacy

Why Nurburgring 24 Hours agony may motivate Verstappen to return

Endurance
Why Nurburgring 24 Hours agony may motivate Verstappen to return

Final Catalan GP results as five riders penalised and Mir loses MotoGP podium

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Final Catalan GP results as five riders penalised and Mir loses MotoGP podium

Gasly remains "key part" of AlphaTauri F1 team - Horner

Red Bull principal Christian Horner has challenged Pierre Gasly's suggestion that he was surprised that he was not considered for a promotion to the Formula 1 team in 2021

Horner says it has been "made clear" to the Frenchman why he wasn't in contention for a seat, should Red Bull decide to replace Alex Albon.

Gasly was recently confirmed at AlphaTauri for 2021, having won the Italian GP and comfortably outperformed team mate Daniil Kvyat this season.

Until recently many observers thought that, should Red Bull decide to drop Albon for 2021, Gasly had done enough to justify a return to the team that he drove for in the first half of last year.

Before Gasly was confirmed at AlphaTauri, the Red Bull management had made it clear that it will look outside its pool of youngsters at available experienced drivers like Nico Hulkenberg and Sergio Perez.

On Friday Gasly explained his feelings on being passed over for promotion.

"I'm not disappointed, I will say I'm just surprised," he said.

"In 14 years, Seb [Vettel] won a race with Toro Rosso, I'm the only other driver who won a race.

"Seb got promoted to Red Bull and won four titles with the team so I'm just surprised I was not really considered."

Asked if he knew of a specific reason from his past he said: "I don't know."

When challenged on Gasly's assertion that he was surprised Horner insisted that the driver knew what the thinking was in the camp.

"I think it's been made very clear to him," said Horner.

"I mean, he's a key part of the AlphaTauri team. AlphaTauri's got different aspirations than that of Toro Rosso. It's not just purely a junior team, it's a sister team, as I've previously stated.

"And I think that we're very pleased for Pierre, that he's doing a great job in that environment, he's happy in that environment.

"The team are very happy with him. So, why break that up? I think that you know that's been made clear to him.

"He's on a long-term contract with Red Bull for the next several years, so you know we have all the information that we need on Pierre, and as I said, I think he's been made very aware throughout the discussions that his future has always laid with AlphaTauri, simply because of the evolving nature of that team and the aspirations of that team."

Horner reiterated that Albon remains "Plan A" for 2021, but he has to justify his place.

"We're fully focused on Plan A, and making sure that Plan A happens.

"So at the moment, I think we'll just put our attention into that.

"And if Plan B was needed, I'm sure you guys would be the first to know.

"It's Alex's seat. He's got his bum in the car, and everybody wants to see him retain that seat.

"I think he's just got to lock out the outside noise, get his head down, have a good weekend."

Previous article Alonso will need "a couple of races" to get comfortable again in F1
Next article Renault joins Ferrari in rejecting 2022 F1 engine freeze plan

Top Comments

Latest news