Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Feature
Formula 1
Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Formula 1 teams unite in letter demanding return to 2015 qualifying

All 11 Formula 1 teams have joined forces and written a letter to motorsport's ruling hierarchy expressing a desire to return to last year's qualifying format, Autosport has learned

Sources have confirmed the letter underlines the unanimity being shown by the teams on this subject, and a desire do what they feel is in the best interests of the fans and for F1 in general.

How to fix Formula 1 qualifying

The letter has been sent to FIA president Jean Todt, supremo Bernie Ecclestone and commercial rights holders CVC Capital Partners.

It is confirmation the aggregate qualifying system that had been proposed at a meeting in Bahrain on Sunday between the teams, Todt, Ecclestone and Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery has been unanimously rejected, as predicted by Autosport on Thursday morning.

The move is part of a heavily political battle being waged on what has become a divisive topic between the teams in one corner, and the FIA and Ecclestone in the other.

Todt and Ecclestone are of the opinion there is no going back to the format used from 2006-15, and have so far refused to put it back on the table to be voted upon.

They are of the belief that as the teams voted for the current knockout scheme then they have to live with it, or come up with an alternative recommendation.

A response from Todt, Ecclestone and CVC is now awaited with interest.

The teams are at least not alone in their dismissal of the format, as drivers and fans have also voiced their opposition in recent days.

The idea would have seen the two best lap times combined to make up an aggregate, and would have applied to all of Q1, Q2 and Q3.

Aggregate qualifying was last used in 2005, with one lap conducted on low fuel on Saturday, and the other on Sunday with a race-fuel load, which only lasted six races.

At this stage, with two deeply entrenched positions on both sides, it appears elimination qualifying will be in place for the Chinese Grand Prix, unless one side or the other makes a late shift in position.

Autosport understands there is one other option available for now, and that is a modification of the current structure, although there is no clarity as to how it should proceed if it stays in place.

Previous article Formula 1 teams set to reject aggregate qualifying proposal
Next article F1 reverts to old qualifying format from Chinese Grand Prix

Top Comments