Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Feature
Formula 1
Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Oscar Piastri shrugs off Red Bull's interest in him, saying it shows his stock on the Formula 1 driver market

Oscar Piastri, McLaren

McLaren Formula 1 driver Oscar Piastri says Red Bull's interest in him as a plan B if Max Verstappen leaves is "flattering", but the Australian denies any knowledge of it.

Earlier this month, Autosport revealed Piastri is on Red Bull's radar as a long-term replacement for Verstappen, should the Dutchman decide to leave the team. The four-time world champion has been disillusioned with F1's new regulations and said he had "life decisions" to make after a flawed start to the 2026 rules cycle.

Over the Miami Grand Prix weekend, several sources with knowledge of the situation confirmed that a push to get Piastri was on the table in the scenario that the team lost its four-time world champion, whether by switching to another outfit, taking a sabbatical or leaving F1 altogether.

When asked about the topic in the Canadian Grand Prix paddock, Piastri felt Red Bull's interest was flattering but said he had no knowledge of it.

"It is news to me, yes," the Australian said. "There's obviously not been any discussions or anything, but it's flattering and there's not really much more than that, really.

"I think, hopefully, it proves my stock as a driver, which is a nice thing, but I'm very happy with where I am. I've got a lot of confidence in this team that we are going to be able to win races and, hopefully, championships in the future, so I'm very happy where I am.

Oscar Piastri, McLaren, Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing

Oscar Piastri, McLaren, Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing

Photo by: Andrew Ferraro / LAT Images via Getty Images

Piastri is under contract with McLaren through 2027, with Verstappen contracted to the end of 2028 - albeit with several break clauses in his contract depending on Red Bull's performance.

Speaking on Thursday, Verstappen said F1's proposed changes to the power unit regulations for 2027, which suggest a 60-40 split between combustion power and electric energy, would be a step forward for F1 and, potentially, for his future in the series.

"It will make the product better, so that means that I'm happier and that's what I want to be able to continue in Formula 1," Verstappen said. "Yes or no? Well, it doesn't matter. I'm happy where I'm at. I see the team really progressing and that's also very exciting to see. And for me, I always wanted to continue anyway, but I always wanted to see change."

Read Also:
Previous article Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Top Comments

Latest news