Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Russell "lost for words" after heartbreaking Canadian GP exit

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Russell "lost for words" after heartbreaking Canadian GP exit

F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli lands F1 2026 blow as Russell retires in Montreal

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli lands F1 2026 blow as Russell retires in Montreal

Russell suffers dramatic exit from F1 Canada GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Russell suffers dramatic exit from F1 Canada GP

Rosenqvist wins 2026 Indy 500 in closest-ever finish

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Rosenqvist wins 2026 Indy 500 in closest-ever finish

BTCC Snetterton: Shedden sees off Sutton for race three win, Ingram charges to third

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Shedden sees off Sutton for race three win, Ingram charges to third

McLaren: Pirelli F1 tests will help Ferrari, Red Bull for rainy Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
McLaren: Pirelli F1 tests will help Ferrari, Red Bull for rainy Canadian GP

BTCC Snetterton: Sensational Sutton strikes from 10th to win, disaster for Ingram

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Sensational Sutton strikes from 10th to win, disaster for Ingram

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Antonelli leads as Russell and Norris among six retirees

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Antonelli leads as Russell and Norris among six retirees

F1 grid filled as Minardi chooses Marques

The European Minardi Formula 1 team has completed this year's Grand Prix driver line-up by signing Brazilian Tarso Marques to fill the team's second seat alongside Fernando Alonso

After much speculation over the last two weeks, Marques has come out on top from a list of contenders that included ex-Sauber, Arrows and Ferrari F1 driver Gianni Morbidelli and Dutch driver Christijan Albers.

For Marques, it will be a return to the Faenza-based team. The Brazilian competed in 11 Grands Prix with Minardi during 1996-97, achieving a best result of 10th place at the British Grand Prix.

"We have decided that Tarso best fulfils our requirement to have a pair of young drivers, one preferably with F1 experience," said team boss of three weeks Paul Stoddart. "There is the added benefit that he has driven for Minardi in the recent past, and therefore knows the team well. I think he and Fernando will form a strong pairing."

Marques spent the last two years driving in the US Champ Car series. The 25-year-old stood in for an injured Al Unser Jr at Penske in 1999 and drove the sole Swift chassis with Dale Coyne Racing last year, scoring just 11 points.

"I am very pleased to be returning to F1, particularly with European Minardi," he said. "I know many of the people here, so it is a little like coming home. At the same time, there is also a different feeling in the factory since the team now has a new owner."

Time is running out for Stoddart's team as the 2001 Minardi is the only car not to have turned a wheel and the majority of teams are packing their cars off to Australia at the end of the week. Two examples of the Gustav Brunner-penned PS01 are set to be shaken down in Italy today (Wednesday) by Alonso and Marques. It could be the car's only outing before the first free practice session in Melbourne.

Previous article Speed limits to replace yellow flags in 2002
Next article Barcelona test, day 1: Reliability problems for DC

Top Comments

Latest news