Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

BTCC Snetterton: Cammish fastest from Ingram in hot conditions

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Cammish fastest from Ingram in hot conditions

Norris points out a key problem with F1 2026's energy management demands

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Norris points out a key problem with F1 2026's energy management demands

Can anyone stop Reddick from lifting the NASCAR Cup title?

Feature
NASCAR Cup
Can anyone stop Reddick from lifting the NASCAR Cup title?

Super Formula Suzuka: Fenestraz wins chaotic opening race

Super Formula
Suzuka
Super Formula Suzuka: Fenestraz wins chaotic opening race

Who qualifies for ADUO? Red Bull shares its F1 power unit pecking order

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Who qualifies for ADUO? Red Bull shares its F1 power unit pecking order

The details in Mercedes' Montreal F1 updates

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
The details in Mercedes' Montreal F1 updates

Supercars Symmons Plains: Toyota pair Mostert and Heimgartner share wins

Supercars
Tasmania Super 440
Supercars Symmons Plains: Toyota pair Mostert and Heimgartner share wins

“A serious matter” – why the FIA hit Racing Bulls with a €30,000 fine when Lawson stopped on track

Formula 1
Canadian GP
“A serious matter” – why the FIA hit Racing Bulls with a €30,000 fine when Lawson stopped on track

Carlos Sainz Jr joins Max Verstappen at Toro Rosso for F1 2015

Formula Renault 3.5 champion Carlos Sainz Jr will race for Toro Rosso in Formula 1 next year, the team confirmed on Friday

The Spaniard, son of two time World Rally champion Carlos Sr, will partner Formula 3 graduate Max Verstappen in an all-F1 rookie line-up at the team next year.

OPINION: Sainz was the right choice for Toro Rosso

Sainz, who tested with Red Bull this week at Yas Marina, replaces Jean-Eric Vergne, who revealed earlier this week that he would not be staying with Toro Rosso for 2015.

"Ever since I have been part of Red Bull's young driver programme, this has been my aim and I want to thank Red Bull for putting their faith in me," said Sainz.

"I have had a very successful season in World Series by Renault this year and now I am looking forward to taking the step up to Formula 1.

"In the next few months I will be working hard on my preparation, ready to get in the cockpit in Jerez for the first test of next year."

Toro Rosso team principal Franz Tost added: "With Carlos joining Max in our driver line-up next year, we continue the tradition of providing youngsters from the Red Bull programme with their first steps in Formula 1.

"I have watched Carlos progress through the junior categories, always improving as he moved higher up the ladder, culminating in a well-deserved win in this year's World Series.

"However, I also remember the day's testing he did with us at Silverstone in 2013 in the STR8.

"He really surprised me and his engineers that day, with his mature approach and his speed."

Sainz became the first Red Bull junior to win the FR3.5 title, taking a series-record of seven wins in a season.

2015 F1 FIELD SO FAR:

Mercedes: Lewis Hamilton/Nico Rosberg
Red Bull-Renault: Daniel Ricciardo/Daniil Kvyat
Williams-Mercedes: Valtteri Bottas/Felipe Massa
Ferrari: Kimi Raikkonen/Sebastian Vettel
McLaren-Honda: Fernando Alonso (tbc)/Jenson Button or Kevin Magnussen (tbc)
Force India-Mercedes: Nico Hulkenberg/Sergio Perez
Toro Rosso-Renault: Max Verstappen/Carlos Sainz Jr
Lotus-Mercedes: Romain Grosjean/Pastor Maldonado
Sauber-Ferrari: Marcus Ericsson/Felipe Nasr

Previous article Mercedes says engine manufacturers won't exit F1
Next article Red Bull's Marko says F1 test proved Carlos Sainz Jr is ready

Top Comments

Latest news