Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Alex Marquez to miss next two MotoGP rounds after Barcelona crash

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
Alex Marquez to miss next two MotoGP rounds after Barcelona crash

How Hamilton switched to a "different approach" for F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How Hamilton switched to a "different approach" for F1 Canadian GP

Where you can find the best battles of F1 2026

Feature
Formula 1
Where you can find the best battles of F1 2026

Red Bull outlines timeline for new F1 wind tunnel

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull outlines timeline for new F1 wind tunnel

Monster to become Aprilia's title sponsor in MotoGP from Italian GP

MotoGP
Monster to become Aprilia's title sponsor in MotoGP from Italian GP

Why quirky Montreal will remain F1's true North American gem

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why quirky Montreal will remain F1's true North American gem

Why the real F1 pecking order won't be seen until Barcelona at the earliest

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why the real F1 pecking order won't be seen until Barcelona at the earliest

MotoGP considers reducing riders to one bike from 2027

MotoGP
MotoGP considers reducing riders to one bike from 2027

Azerbaijan GP wants 2019 June F1 date despite asking for '18 change

Azerbaijan Grand Prix organisers want the Baku race to return to a June slot on the 2019 Formula 1 calendar despite asking for an April date on the '18 schedule

Baku promoter Arif Rahimov says he asked F1 for a different date next season due to a clash with a major event to celebrate the country's 100th anniversary as a republic.

Part of those celebrations will take place in Baku's city square, which forms the F1 paddock area.

The race has been switched to the slot previously occupied by the Russian GP on April 29 for 2018, with Sochi hosting its race in September to avoid a clash with the football World Cup taking place in the country in the summer.

"We asked to move to an earlier slot [for 2018]," Rahimov told Autosport.

"We want to use the square for a parade on the June date next year for the 100th anniversary of the republic.

"And then in July onwards the European season is too dense, we cannot fit in there.

"We would like to go back to June in 2019, we're happy with it.

"In general the June date works well.

"It's probably more or less the best weather we can have; it's hot under the sun, but once you go in the shadow, it's OK.

"At the end of April it can get down to 14-15C.

"It's not freezing cold, but it's not T-shirt weather."

Rahimov said he hoped the move to April would not harm spectator attendance, which was reportedly up 30% in 2017 on the inaugural European GP event a year earlier.

"As long as we provide all the entertainment and everything works out I don't think this shift will really affect spectator attendance," he added.

"It's gone up this year quite a bit."

Previous article Jacques Villeneuve stands by criticism of F1 rookie Lance Stroll
Next article Toto Wolff hits out at Eddie Jordan over 'fake news' about Mercedes

Top Comments

Latest news