Subscribe

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Jamie Whincup ends future speculation with 2021 contract extension

Seven-time Supercars champion Jamie Whincup will race on in the series until at least the end of the 2021 season, it has been confirmed

The 37-year-old has been cagey about his future in recent months, admitting last year that the 2020 season could be his last.

However he's now set to stay on as a full-timer for an 18th season, with confirmation that he has extended his deal with Triple Eight Race Engineering into next year.

Whincup has been with Roland Dane's outfit since 2006, winning all of his category-best seven titles and four Bathurst 1000s with the team.

Only once, in 2015 when he finished fifth, has he ended the year lower than third in points.

"My addiction for racing, speed and trying to beat my mates to the finish line started when I was seven years old," said Whincup, who made his debut in 2003 with Garry Rogers Motorsport.

"Any thought of finishing full-time driving this year doesn't sit well with me.

"I feel I have plenty to offer this sport from behind the wheel.

"While my full focus is on this year's championship and delivering results for our teammates, sponsors and Red Bull Holden fan base, it's great to know that all the fun will continue well into 2021.

The urgent decisions Supercars must make after Holden's demise

"I thank everyone at the Red Bull Holden Racing Team for the trust in me to showcase your amazing work and commitment in 2021."

What car Whincup will be racing is, however, unclear, as both T8 and Supercars itself assess the implications of GM's decision to axe the Holden brand.

The team has also confirmed that 2016 champion Shane van Gisbergen is contracted until the end of the 2021 season, a deal believed to have been signed last year.

"It's been an awesome few years with the Red Bull Holden Racing Team, and honestly there wasn't much thought put into extending my contract for a few more years," van Gisbergen said.

"I absolutely love this place and all the people in it, and the future looks exciting with the changes that look to be put in place."

Be part of Autosport community

Join the conversation
Previous article Adelaide Supercars: Mostert fastest outright on Friday
Next article The urgent decisions Supercars must make after Holden's demise

Top Comments

There are no comments at the moment. Would you like to write one?

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe