Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Super Formula Suzuka: Fenestraz wins chaotic opening race

Super Formula
Suzuka
Super Formula Suzuka: Fenestraz wins chaotic opening race

Who qualifies for ADUO? Red Bull shares its F1 power unit pecking order

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Who qualifies for ADUO? Red Bull shares its F1 power unit pecking order

The details in Mercedes' Montreal F1 updates

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
The details in Mercedes' Montreal F1 updates

Supercars Symmons Plains: Toyota pair Mostert and Heimgartner share wins

Supercars
Tasmania Super 440
Supercars Symmons Plains: Toyota pair Mostert and Heimgartner share wins

“A serious matter” – why the FIA hit Racing Bulls with a €30,000 fine when Lawson stopped on track

Formula 1
Canadian GP
“A serious matter” – why the FIA hit Racing Bulls with a €30,000 fine when Lawson stopped on track

F1 Canadian GP: Russell defeats Antonelli to Canada F1 sprint pole

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell defeats Antonelli to Canada F1 sprint pole

Red Bull F1 team boss: "No intention behind" public meeting between Verstappen and Wolff

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull F1 team boss: "No intention behind" public meeting between Verstappen and Wolff

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell takes sprint pole ahead of Antonelli

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell takes sprint pole ahead of Antonelli

Webber confirmed at Minardi

Rising Australian star Mark Webber has been confirmed as the Minardi Formula 1 team's second driver for this year, as predicted by Autosport.com on Sunday

The 25-year-old, who finished second in the FIA Formula 3000 International series last year, has bagged one of the final F1 seats for 2002 alongside Malaysia's Alex Yoong after two impressive tests with the Anglo-Italian team in the last three weeks.

"Entering Formula 1 is obviously a fantastic stage of my career," said Webber. "It's what the last seven years has been all about. Now the hard work begins. To start this new chapter with someone like [team boss] Paul [Stoddart], who I have worked with in the past [in F3000], is a fantastic opportunity. I can't wait to get underway."

Stoddart, who took over the Minardi team at the start of last year, has said for the last few weeks that he was waiting until the fate of the ailing Prost team was known, before deciding on his second driver.

With the French squad being put into liquidation earlier today (Monday), Heinz-Harald Frentzen is expected to move to Arrows for 2002 and Stoddart has plumped for Webber. The Australian air magnate was delighted.

"Last year arriving in Melbourne was a proud and emotional moment for all of us," he said. "With two great competitors in Mark and Alex joining us we'll feel doubly proud this year. It's a different Minardi - better prepared in all respects. We firmly believe the team is on course to take its first important step up the F1 grid."

With Frentzen set to take the final F1 seat for 2002 at Arrows, Dutchman Jos Verstappen will be left without a drive.

Previous article Official: Webber Confirmed at Minardi
Next article Webber & Stoddart Await for Home Support

Top Comments

Latest news