De Vries: FE "not necessarily" at fault for bizarre Valencia E-Prix finish

Nyck de Vries says Formula E is “not necessarily” to blame for the chaotic finish to the Valencia E-Prix on Saturday, as the majority of cars ran out of energy.

De Vries: FE "not necessarily" at fault for bizarre Valencia E-Prix finish

Only 12 of the 24 drivers were classified on Formula E’s first visit to a permanent track in a dramatic wet race, with Mercedes driver de Vries taking victory from the Dragon Penske Autosport car of Nico Muller.

The first part of the Spanish double header was punctuated by five safety car periods, with the race control deducting the usable energy on each occasion as per the championship’s sporting regulations.

The left a two-lap dash to the race finish, but most drivers struggled to make it to the finish at a venue that has been described as the toughest in FE's history from the perspective of energy management, due to the limited opportunities to regenerate energy compared to a conventional heavy-braking street circuit.

De Vries, who had been running second behind the final safety car, overtook the pole-sitting car of Antonio Felix da Costa with ease starting the final lap to clinch a convincing 14-second victory, having saved more energy than his immediate rivals in the early parts of the race.

Muller, who had been running well outside the points after two trips to the gravel trap, came through the field to finish a surprise second for Dragon's first podium of the year, while Vandoorne completed the podium spots having started dead last on the grid after losing all his lap times in qualifying due to a tyre infringement.

The farcical finish to the race drew criticism from fans worldwide, less than a week after FIA president Jean Todt called on the media to provide more coverage to Formula E.

Asked if the race could have a negative impact on FE’s image in its first season as a world championship, de Vries said: “I think it was a little bit confusing but at the same time it was relatively clear that if you cross the line and it’s not the last lap then it’s two laps to go and if you had one lap [of energy] to go in the car, then that won’t take you to the end.

Nyck de Vries, Mercedes-Benz EQ , 1st position, Stoffel Vandoorne, Mercedes-Benz EQ, 3rd position, the Mercedes Benz EQ team celebrate on the podium

Nyck de Vries, Mercedes-Benz EQ , 1st position, Stoffel Vandoorne, Mercedes-Benz EQ, 3rd position, the Mercedes Benz EQ team celebrate on the podium

Photo by: Sam Bloxham / Motorsport Images

“I think there are other things of the championship that could be maybe reconsidered at times, but this may look silly however it was also just well played by our teams and others kind of missed some information.

“Credit to the work they put into and clearly they were on the ball. But not necessarily a mistake of the championship in my opinion.”

Vandoorne said Mercedes knew that there was a possibility of drivers running out of energy to make it to the finish in the run-up to the event, but hopes Formula E makes changes to its procedures to avoid a repeat of the same scenario.

The Mercedes driver also felt that da Costa could have done more to ensure the race ran for only a single lap following the final safety car period.

“I didn’t see the TV but it probably looked a bit silly to be honest,” Vandoorne said.

“To finish the race like that, it’s kind of not the way you want to finish.

“We knew it was a possibility that there is a slight chance that it might happen, it was just probably in the window that it happened.

“I think Antonio didn’t slow down enough to make it one lap.

Stoffel Vandoorne, Mercedes-Benz EQ, EQ Silver Arrow 02, Rene Rast, Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler, Audi e-tron FE07

Stoffel Vandoorne, Mercedes-Benz EQ, EQ Silver Arrow 02, Rene Rast, Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler, Audi e-tron FE07

Photo by: Simon Galloway / Motorsport Images

“I don’t know if that was a conversation with his engineer, yes or no, if the time was just too much to slow down but there was a small window this could happen and this obviously happened today.

“It was a first for Formula E so I wouldn’t be surprised if things are gonna change based on this in the future. At the same time everyone knows that this is the case, so we did the right thing today.”

shares
comments

Related video

Valencia E-Prix: De Vries wins bonkers race as rivals run out of energy

Previous article

Valencia E-Prix: De Vries wins bonkers race as rivals run out of energy

Next article

FIA: "Surprising" extra lap 'made life difficult' in Valencia E-Prix

FIA: "Surprising" extra lap 'made life difficult' in Valencia E-Prix
Load comments

About this article

Series Formula E
Event Valencia ePrix
Drivers Nyck de Vries
Teams Mercedes
Author Rachit Thukral
How Valencia E-Prix farce left Formula E with an image problem Plus

How Valencia E-Prix farce left Formula E with an image problem

Formula E was under the microscope at Valencia, on its first visit to a permanent circuit. But after a mere nine drivers were left classified following Saturday's Valencia E-Prix, the electric championship once more faced criticism after rising energy deductions and miscalculations produced a farcical affair

Formula E
Apr 25, 2021
The silver bullet signing that has launched Jaguar into title contention Plus

The silver bullet signing that has launched Jaguar into title contention

It's taken a long time for Jaguar to reach the cusp of contending for championships in Formula E. But, after last season's challenge crumbled in Berlin, the team has been bolstered by a top-line arrival who has helped to end an unwanted 30-year wait

Formula E
Apr 22, 2021
How Vergne and Vandoorne found redemption in Rome Plus

How Vergne and Vandoorne found redemption in Rome

Another Formula E double-header, another double dose of frantic action. While the form guide remains unpredictable following fightback wins for Jean-Eric Vergne and Stoffel Vandoorne in Rome, the speed and consistency of Mercedes – both on and off the track – could have its rivals worried for what is to follow

Formula E
Apr 12, 2021
What Nissan's commitment to Gen3 reveals about Formula E's future Plus

What Nissan's commitment to Gen3 reveals about Formula E's future

Formula E's Gen3 era grid continues to take shape, after Nissan opted to commit to the series for another four years. Nissan's global chief operating officer explains why it has thrown its lot in with FE while other high-profile marques have decided to call it quits

Formula E
Mar 24, 2021
Why the new Formula E season got off to such a controversial start Plus

Why the new Formula E season got off to such a controversial start

With the new Formula E season belatedly getting underway in Saudi Arabia, the championship appeared to try to make up for lost time with an overspill of action and controversy on and off the track. While some talking points could have serious repercussions, it was an explosive opener for many reasons

Formula E
Mar 1, 2021
How Andretti is planning for life after BMW Plus

How Andretti is planning for life after BMW

Michael Andretti's team is a Formula E ever-present and that's not about to change despite BMW's forthcoming exit. But, with both its drivers contracted to the German giant and McLaren weighing up a possible entry, some key decisions lie ahead

Formula E
Feb 26, 2021
The eight major plotlines to watch in Formula E 2021 Plus

The eight major plotlines to watch in Formula E 2021

The delayed 2020-21 Formula E season gets underway this week with a double-header in Saudi Arabia. The testing times were too close to call a favourite, but that's not the only area of interest to follow as the championship enters a crucial year

Formula E
Feb 25, 2021
Why Formula E's 2021 season will be a crucial litmus test Plus

Why Formula E's 2021 season will be a crucial litmus test

As off-track politics threatens to overshadow events on it, the upcoming Formula E season is perhaps its most important since the championship's inception. And that's a shame, given that the focus should be on what promises to be its closest title fight yet

Formula E
Feb 24, 2021