Stefano Domenicali steps down as Ferrari F1 team boss

Stefano Domenicali has stepped down as team principal of the Ferrari Formula 1 team

Stefano Domenicali steps down as Ferrari F1 team boss

After a disappointing start to the season, that has left Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen without a podium finish, Domenicali has shouldered the blame for the team's lack of form.

He has moved aside with immediate effect, and will be replaced for now by Marco Mattiacci, the president and CEO of Ferrari North America.

An announcement confirming the changes is expected imminently.

Domenicali had been team principal at Ferrari since 2008, having previously worked for the Maranello-based outfit in administration and human resources roles, before becoming its sporting director.

Despite Domenicali helping the team secure the constructors' championship in his first year in charge, Ferrari was pained by the fact that it failed to secure a drivers' title under his tenure.

It did come close to it, with Felipe Massa only losing the drivers' crown in 2008 at the final corner, while Alonso lost out in title showdowns in 2010 and 2012 to Sebastian Vettel.

The arrival of new regulations in 2014 delivered a golden opportunity for Ferrari to return to the very top, with the manufacturer teams expected to have an advantage this season because of the increased importance of the engine.

But, while Mercedes dominated the opening three races, Ferrari found itself on the back foot - with its power unit struggling to match what its German car manufacturer rival had delivered.

Its engine struggles were highlighted in Bahrain, where both Alonso and Raikkonen were left fighting for the lower points positions and found themselves powerless to defend against many of the Mercedes customer teams.

The lack of pace in Bahrain could not have come at a worse time for Ferrari, either, with its president Luca di Montezemolo having spoken out against the new fuel-efficiency regulations ahead of the event.

He turned up at the Sakhir race, but left before the end when it became clear how much Alonso and Raikkonen were struggling.

shares
comments
FIA hearing into Daniel Ricciardo's Australian GP exclusion starts
Previous article

FIA hearing into Daniel Ricciardo's Australian GP exclusion starts

Next article

Red Bull appeal: Newey says FIA sensor would've cost second place

Red Bull appeal: Newey says FIA sensor would've cost second place
How Ferrari’s Monaco headache became its Silverstone migraine Plus

How Ferrari’s Monaco headache became its Silverstone migraine

OPINION: Ferrari won the British Grand Prix with Carlos Sainz, but it ultimately cost Charles Leclerc a chance to make a bigger dent in Max Verstappen's title lead by leaving the Monegasque out on old tyres towards the end. Like Monaco, indecision over strategy proved to be the Scuderia's biggest issue - and if the team doesn't reflect, the headache can only intensify

The five factors behind Sainz winning a British GP he’d twice lost Plus

The five factors behind Sainz winning a British GP he’d twice lost

Formula 1 has a newest race winner, in a grand prix the victor appeared to have lost twice, only to charge back to headline a sensational and dramatic British Grand Prix. From a massive start crash to a late sprint finish, here’s how five factors saw Carlos Sainz take his maiden grand prix win

Formula 1
Jul 4, 2022
Why there was no case to answer in Aston’s latest F1 copycat saga Plus

Why there was no case to answer in Aston’s latest F1 copycat saga

The appearance of a revised Aston Martin in Spain caused controversy but PAT SYMONDS explains why the FIA investigation found the Silverstone team had no case to answer

Formula 1
Jul 3, 2022
Why it's Red Bull that really leads a three-way fight so far at Silverstone Plus

Why it's Red Bull that really leads a three-way fight so far at Silverstone

After a slow start to Friday at Silverstone, all the Formula 1 teams had to effectively cram in a day’s worth of practice into one hour. But there was still plenty to learn and while Ferrari topped the times, a three-way battle is brewing ahead of the British Grand Prix

Formula 1
Jul 2, 2022
Why the future is bright for the British GP Plus

Why the future is bright for the British GP

It wasn’t so long ago the situation looked bleak at Silverstone with the future of the British Grand Prix under threat. But a transformation has seen it restored to one of the most important races on the Formula 1 calendar, with bigger and better to come

Formula 1
Jul 1, 2022
Could mixed fortunes for F1's leading Brits turn around at Silverstone? Plus

Could mixed fortunes for F1's leading Brits turn around at Silverstone?

For the first time in many years, none of the local racers starts among the favourites for the British Grand Prix. But George Russell, Lewis Hamilton and Lando Norris could have reasons for optimism

Formula 1
Jun 30, 2022
Verstappen exclusive: Why F1’s champion isn’t fazed by Silverstone return Plus

Verstappen exclusive: Why F1’s champion isn’t fazed by Silverstone return

Max Verstappen is the world’s number one racing driver… and he’s determined to keep it that way. Speaking exclusively to GP Racing's OLEG KARPOV, the Red Bull driver explains why he’s relishing the 2022 championship battle with Charles Leclerc – and why he’s not worried about returning to Silverstone, the scene of the biggest accident of his career last year

Formula 1
Jun 30, 2022
Why Red Bull’s RB17 hypercar can help its F1 team Plus

Why Red Bull’s RB17 hypercar can help its F1 team

On Tuesday, Red Bull laid out its plans to develop and build a new hypercar - the RB17 - penned by Adrian Newey. As the project itself sates Newey as a creative outlet, it also offers Red Bull's Formula 1 team a number of new and exciting avenues to pursue

Formula 1
Jun 29, 2022