Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Why Nurburgring 24 Hours agony may motivate Verstappen to return

Endurance
Why Nurburgring 24 Hours agony may motivate Verstappen to return

Final Catalan GP results as five riders penalised and Mir loses MotoGP podium

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Final Catalan GP results as five riders penalised and Mir loses MotoGP podium

Acosta slams Catalan GP calls: “It’s awful we acted as if nothing happened”

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Acosta slams Catalan GP calls: “It’s awful we acted as if nothing happened”

DS Penske solid despite frustrating finish in Monaco E-Prix

Formula E
Monaco ePrix II
DS Penske solid despite frustrating finish in Monaco E-Prix

Formula E Monaco E-Prix: Rowland reignites title challenge with first win of 2025-26

Formula E
Monaco ePrix II
Formula E Monaco E-Prix: Rowland reignites title challenge with first win of 2025-26

MotoGP Catalan GP: Di Giannantonio wins chaotic Barcelona race

MotoGP
Catalan GP
MotoGP Catalan GP: Di Giannantonio wins chaotic Barcelona race

Nurburgring 24 Hours: Mercedes win despite late failure for Verstappen Racing

Endurance
Nurburgring 24 Hours: Mercedes win despite late failure for Verstappen Racing

How F1's ADUO system works

Feature
Formula 1
How F1's ADUO system works

Red Bull not a major Formula 1 threat to Ferrari, Vettel believes

Sebastian Vettel does not believe Formula 1 rival Red Bull will be a threat to Ferrari if the Scuderia can get on top of its qualifying struggles

Ferrari looked strong in Friday practice in Spain but failed to carry that form into Saturday, with Kimi Raikkonen and Vettel qualifying fifth and sixth behind the Mercedes and Red Bulls, both more than one second off the ultimate pace.

ANALYSIS: Why did it go so wrong for Ferrari in Spanish GP qualifying?

After the Mercedes pair crashed out on the first lap of the race, Ferrari looked to be the quickest car.

But the loss of track position on a circuit where overtaking is tough cost Ferrari dearly and it lost out to Max Verstappen, with Raikkonen and Vettel completing the podium.

"If we get Saturday right, they [Red Bull] shouldn't be too much of a threat," said Vettel after his morning run on day one of in-season testing.

"They have kept improving, so did we. Saturday didn't go the way we hoped.

"If we qualified it would have been a different race but would, could, should.

"We were as competitive as expected here apart from Saturday.

"Sunday we were in ballpark, we just struggled to get past and once we were past, which was not too many times in the race, we showed we were quicker."

Vettel added Ferrari "tried some stuff" at Barcelona on Tuesday morning to try to cure its qualifying problems, and that he remained hopeful the team would be competitive at the next race in Monaco.

"It should be a strong track for us, we were very competitive last year," he said.

"We have improved the car in the areas we need for Monaco. It's better in terms of ride, kerbing, in general so it should help for Monaco.

"The favourites have to remain Mercedes. If there is a chance to win, we will try.

"The first step towards the potential championship is the race in Monaco and after that is Canada so we go step by step."

Previous article Mercedes and Red Bull favour F1's unraced ultra-soft for Monaco GP
Next article Barcelona F1 test: Vettel fastest for Ferrari on opening day

Top Comments

Latest news