Mosley 'urged' to stand for re-election

FIA president Max Mosley has revealed that he is under pressure to stand for re-election from other members of the sport's governing body, after admitting that he does not expect to receive the apology he demanded from Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) president Luca di Montezemolo on Thursday

Mosley 'urged' to stand for re-election

Mosley, speaking in an interview with the Mail on Sunday, said that while he would rather stand down in October, he was prepared to do whatever was required in the face of a potential conflict with Formula 1's car manufacturers.

"They made the mistake of dancing on my grave before I was buried," Mosley told the newspaper. "It's no good the teams getting a PR agency to claim I am dead and buried when I am standing here as large as life. I am under pressure now from all over the world to stand for re-election.

"I don't actually want to," he added. "I feel I am a little bit too old.

"When I started I was old enough to be the father of the younger Formula 1 drivers; now I am old enough to be the grandfather of some of those driving today. Although I don't feel old, I must seem very old to them. It definitely needs somebody new from that point of view.

"Generally, when you have done something for 16 years, as I have done, it's about time to stop. You get a little bit stale.

"I do genuinely want to stop. But if there is going to be a big conflict with the car industry, for example, with the FOTA teams, then I won't stop. I will do whatever I have to do. It's not in my nature to walk away from a fight."

Mosley, F1 rights holder Bernie Ecclestone and di Montezemolo announced a deal to end the row over budget caps and bring the threat of a breakaway series in 2010 to a close last Wednesday. At the time, Mosley said that he would not stand for re-election.

But press briefings by FOTA team principals the following day angered Mosley, who felt that they had suggested he had been forced from office and labelled him a 'dictator'. He was also annoyed by suggestions that FIA Senate president Michel Boeri would assume his role in overseeing the FIA's F1 affairs until October.

Mosley sent a letter to di Montezemolo demanding a public apology in Thursday's FOTA press conference, which was not forthcoming.

"I don't really expect Luca will apologise or withdraw in the way that he should," Mosley told the newspaper. "Yet, on the other hand, within the motorsport world nobody takes him seriously. He's seen as what the Italians call a 'bella figura'.

"He's chairman of Fiat but the serious individual who runs it is Sergio Marchionne, and I don't suppose he takes much notice of Luca.

"When di Montezemolo comes out with things that are picked up internationally, when people in the UK, for example, read this, they tend to believe it," he added.

"And when FOTA say all this nonsense about Boeri replacing me, that also tends to be believed. I think once we have all that put to bed and the teams come back to the deal we did, then I will be happy sticking with the deal we made. I am working on FIA matters from my office in Monaco. It is business as usual."

Mosley dismissed suggestions that he acted like a dicator as 'nonsense', adding that decisions were taken by the World Motor Sport Council. He also revealed that he had privately made clear to them that he would stand down from office.

"Complete lies have been told," said Mosley. "That was obviously very annoying and not just for me.

"It has given the impression to the member clubs of the FIA that the car industry had dictated who the president could be and what the president should do. That caused uproar. Once a year we have a general assembly where all 132 countries belonging to the FIA endorse what has been done.

"If someone is unhappy with what has been done, they would say so and we'd have a vote. I don't have the power to dictate. I only have the power to execute the decisions that the WMSC have taken."

In the interview Mosley admitted that the past two years of his life had been very difficult. But he said that while the death of his son and last year's highly publicised sex scandal had taken their toll, he would not walk away from the FIA presidency while he perceived the organisation's independence to be under threat.

"The past 16 months have been difficult," he admitted. "It is appalling if somebody takes some part of your life that you have always kept completely secret and puts it all over the front page of a newspaper. Yet, obviously, the death of my son was far worse. By comparison, my spats with di Montezemolo are trivial.

"However, I do not want to leave the president's office in a way where it was suggested that people from the car industry had pushed me out. If that impression is not completely dispelled, the clubs are going to insist that I stand again.

"So I hope very much that it will be dispelled before we get to that point. And when the time comes to hand all this to somebody else, it will not be with sadness, it will be with relief."

shares
comments
Ferrari may shift focus on to 2010 car
Previous article

Ferrari may shift focus on to 2010 car

Next article

Manor unsure how new rules affect plans

Manor unsure how new rules affect plans
Load comments
The Schumacher trait that will give Haas hope in F1 2022 Plus

The Schumacher trait that will give Haas hope in F1 2022

Mick Schumacher’s knack of improving during his second season in a championship was a trademark of his junior formula career, so his progress during his rookie Formula 1 campaign with Haas was encouraging. His target now will be to turn that improvement into results as the team hopes to reap the rewards of sacrificing development in 2021

The “glorified taxi” driver central to F1’s continued safety push Plus

The “glorified taxi” driver central to F1’s continued safety push

As the driver of Formula 1’s medical car, Alan van der Merwe’s job is to wait – and hope his skills aren’t needed. JAMES NEWBOLD hears from F1’s lesser-known stalwarts

Formula 1
Jan 15, 2022
When BMW added F1 'rocket fuel' to ignite Brabham's 1983 title push Plus

When BMW added F1 'rocket fuel' to ignite Brabham's 1983 title push

There was an ace up the sleeve during the 1983 F1 title-winning season of Nelson Piquet and Brabham. It made a frontrunning car invincible for the last three races to see off Renault's Alain Prost and secure the combination's second world title in three years

Formula 1
Jan 13, 2022
How “abysmal” reliability blunted Brabham’s first winner Plus

How “abysmal” reliability blunted Brabham’s first winner

Brabham’s first world championship race-winning car was held back by unreliable Climax engines – or so its creators believed, as STUART CODLING explains

Formula 1
Jan 10, 2022
The steps Norris took to reach a new level in F1 2021 Plus

The steps Norris took to reach a new level in F1 2021

Lando Norris came of age as a grand prix driver in 2021. McLaren’s young ace is no longer an apprentice or a quietly capable number two – he’s proved himself a potential winner in the top flight and, as STUART CODLING finds out, he’s ready to stake his claim to greatness…

Formula 1
Jan 9, 2022
The original F1 maestro who set the bar for Schumacher and Hamilton Plus

The original F1 maestro who set the bar for Schumacher and Hamilton

Juan Manuel Fangio, peerless on track and charming off it, established the gold standard of grand prix greatness. NIGEL ROEBUCK recalls a remarkable champion

Formula 1
Jan 8, 2022
How Russell sees his place in the Mercedes-Hamilton F1 superteam Plus

How Russell sees his place in the Mercedes-Hamilton F1 superteam

George Russell joining Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes this year gives it arguably the best line-up in Formula 1 – if it can avoid too many fireworks. After serving his apprenticeship at Williams, Russell is the man that Mercedes team believes can lead it in the post-Hamilton era, but how will he fare against the seven-time champion? Autosport heard from the man himself

Formula 1
Jan 6, 2022
How F1 pulled off its second pandemic season and its 2022 implications Plus

How F1 pulled off its second pandemic season and its 2022 implications

OPINION: The Formula 1 season just gone was the second to be completed under the dreaded shadow of the COVID-19 pandemic, but in many ways it was much more ‘normal’ than 2020. Here’s the story of how the championship’s various organisers delivered a second challenging campaign, which offers a glimpse at what may be different next time around

Formula 1
Jan 5, 2022