Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Red Bull went against Verstappen's set-up feedback: “Sometimes they have to feel it”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull went against Verstappen's set-up feedback: “Sometimes they have to feel it”

What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Verstappen reignites quit threats amid doubts over 2027 F1 rule changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen reignites quit threats amid doubts over 2027 F1 rule changes

Update: Hamilton avoids Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Update: Hamilton avoids Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

Minardi to Run Three Cars at Imola

Minardi will run three cars for the first time in Friday testing at next week's San Marino Formula One Grand Prix after a $1 million deal with Italian driver Matteo Bobbi.

Minardi will run three cars for the first time in Friday testing at next week's San Marino Formula One Grand Prix after a $1 million deal with Italian driver Matteo Bobbi.

Team boss Paul Stoddart said the team's 2002 test driver Bobbi would be running for two hours on the Friday before four Grands Prix - San Marino, Spain, Austria and Italy. Stoddart said the 24-year-old Italian's deal was part of a sponsorship package.

"Obviously the package is not just the drive. He's got names on the car, passes and all the usual things that a million dollar sponsor would have," he said.

Struggling Minardi are one of four teams to have signed up for limited private testing during the season in exchange for a two-hour slot with three cars each on the track at Grands Prix before regular practice and qualifying. Renault are so far the only team to have run three cars in the test sessions.

Stoddart said Minardi, whose regular drivers are Briton Justin Wilson and Dutchman Jos Verstappen, would be looking to sign up more drivers for testing at other races.

"We'll be trying hard to put an American in at Indianapolis," he said. "It comes down to money. We won't run someone with less than a quarter of a million dollars on a Friday because it just doesn't become economical for us."

A slot at Monaco was unlikely to be available however.

"Not unless it was a known driver," said Stoddart, mindful of the expensive damage an inexperienced racer could cause on the tight and twisty street circuit. "It would have to be someone who has undoubted credibility."

Previous article Paul Ricard day 2: Rain hampers test
Next article Pierre Dupasquier Q&A

Top Comments

Latest news