Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Alex Marquez to miss next two MotoGP rounds after Barcelona crash

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
Alex Marquez to miss next two MotoGP rounds after Barcelona crash

How Hamilton switched to a "different approach" for F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How Hamilton switched to a "different approach" for F1 Canadian GP

Where you can find the best battles of F1 2026

Feature
Formula 1
Where you can find the best battles of F1 2026

Red Bull outlines timeline for new F1 wind tunnel

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull outlines timeline for new F1 wind tunnel

Monster to become Aprilia's title sponsor in MotoGP from Italian GP

MotoGP
Monster to become Aprilia's title sponsor in MotoGP from Italian GP

Why quirky Montreal will remain F1's true North American gem

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why quirky Montreal will remain F1's true North American gem

Why the real F1 pecking order won't be seen until Barcelona at the earliest

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why the real F1 pecking order won't be seen until Barcelona at the earliest

MotoGP considers reducing riders to one bike from 2027

MotoGP
MotoGP considers reducing riders to one bike from 2027

McLaren duo swerve musical chairs debate

McLaren teammates Kimi Raikkonen and Juan Pablo Montoya dodged questions about where they would be driving next season, saying they were focused only on this weekend's Australian Grand Prix

McLaren's decision to sign world champion Fernando Alonso away from Renault next season has intensified speculation about where the two drivers will be next year.

Raikkonen has been linked with a possible move to Ferrari but the flying Finn was giving nothing away at a news conference in Melbourne on Thursday.

"I don't know, a lot of things can happen in the next few years," a tight-lipped Raikkonen said.

Montoya, whose next drive will depend largely on whether Raikkonen stays or goes, was also playing his cards close to his chest.

"I'm just concentrating on this year," he said.

"When I was in America and I was moving to Formula One I signed the deal eight months before but I was still pushing as hard as I could for the team and it's the same here.

"I think we have a good chance of winning the championship this year and I need to try to score points every race and have a chance of winning."

Raikkonen, runner-up to Alonso in the drivers' championship last season, said he was trying to ignore the constant speculation.

"It doesn't make any difference to me at all," he said. "I don't care who my teammate is. The team makes the decision and all I do is drive the car."

Montoya won three races last year to finish fourth in the championship but was plagued by mechanical problems.

But the Colombian is confident the car will be more reliable this season after finishing the first two races and being fitted with a new engine for Albert Park.

"I think we're going to be really quick, the car really has the potential and I feel a lot more comfortable than last year, and let's hope it carries on to the end of the year," he said.

"I think we have a big handicap because we had trouble with the engine but now it's running well so it's looking good."

Previous article Rosberg happy at Williams
Next article Rosberg sure of reliable Williams

Top Comments

Latest news