Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell starts on pole ahead of Antonelli

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell starts on pole ahead of Antonelli

BTCC Snetterton: Shedden sees off Sutton for race three win, Ingram charges to third

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Shedden sees off Sutton for race three win, Ingram charges to third

McLaren: Pirelli F1 tests will help Ferrari, Red Bull for rainy Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
McLaren: Pirelli F1 tests will help Ferrari, Red Bull for rainy Canadian GP

BTCC Snetterton: Sensational Sutton strikes from 10th to win, disaster for Ingram

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Sensational Sutton strikes from 10th to win, disaster for Ingram

DTM Zandvoort: Van der Linde grabs victory for BMW as Dorr takes maiden podium

DTM
Zandvoort
DTM Zandvoort: Van der Linde grabs victory for BMW as Dorr takes maiden podium

Why wet Canadian GP will be "the perfect storm" for F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why wet Canadian GP will be "the perfect storm" for F1

BTCC Snetterton: Rainford dominates to lead home Ingram

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Rainford dominates to lead home Ingram

Why we need to talk about social media in F1

Feature
Formula 1
Why we need to talk about social media in F1

Marques Hoping to Stay in Formula One

Brazilian tail-ender Tarso Marques hopes to stay in Formula One even if little-known Malaysian Alex Yoong takes his place at Minardi in the next few weeks.

Brazilian tail-ender Tarso Marques hopes to stay in Formula One even if little-known Malaysian Alex Yoong takes his place at Minardi in the next few weeks.

The 25-year-old Marques, regularly last on the grid, has finished just five of his 13 Grands Prix this season and at Silverstone in July became the first driver in three years to fail to qualify for a race.

He is currently on a race-by-race deal at Minardi, who are assessing Yoong over a full race distance in Italy this week in a test that should lead to him being awarded his FIA super-license.

Asked whether he would be looking to secure a Formula One test driver position or would return to America, where he previously raced in Champ Cars, Marques said he had not given up on Formula One: "We are talking to some teams even to be driving still, even to be an official driver for next year," he told Reuters at the Donington Park circuit where he drove a two-seater Formula One car on Tuesday.

"Prost or even Arrows, there is an option still. Minardi would be an option. It all depends on the deal, if the situation is not like it is right now, to have better conditions, I'd be happy to stay," said the Brazilian.

Marques said he welcomed the likely arrival of Yoong for the good of the team, who need sponsors after being rescued from impending failure by Australian businessman Paul Stoddart in January.

"Yoong brought the sponsor for the team already two or three races ago so he should be in the car," said Marques. "I don't know when but I think as soon as he gets a little bit more used to it he will be driving it. We need the sponsors now and he will bring in a lot of money, it's good for the team so I think they should change."

Previous article Alain Prost Q&A
Next article Rosberg: Hakkinen Set to Stay at McLaren

Top Comments

Latest news