Subscribe

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Italian F1 GP cannot afford repeat of 'Australia mistakes'

The Italian automobile federation has warned Formula 1 it cannot 'afford to make the mistake' of cancelling its race at the last-minute, as happened with the season-opening Australian Grand Prix

In March, the Melbourne season opener was called off just hours before Friday practice began in the wake of a McLaren team member being tested positive for COVID-19.

The late cancellation meant hordes of fans were already waiting outside the gates of the Albert Park circuit unaware of the situation inside the circuit.

Several McLaren members had to remain in self-isolation in Melbourne before being able to travel back to their families.

Since then, the first nine grands prix of the 2020 F1 season have been either postponed or cancelled and, in addition, both the French and Belgian grands prix are unlikely to take place on their scheduled summer dates after both countries extended their ban on mass events.

The Automobile Club of Italy, which promotes Monza's Italian Grand Prix on 6 September, says a repeat of the Melbourne scenario would be a "disaster" for the sport as it said it was unsure about the fate of its event.

"We can no longer afford to make mistakes like in Australia, when the GP was cancelled with the public already at the track," ACI president Angelo Sticchi Damiani told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"That was a setback for everyone, from Liberty Media to the teams, to the local organisers. To start again and then be forced to stop would be a disaster."

Monza is situated in Italy's northern Lombardy region, which has been hit particularly hard by the coronavirus pandemic and remains under strict lockdown. With no end to the crisis in sight, Damiani urges F1 to remain cautious.

"We are going through a situation of great uncertainty and in this moment we must act with caution and attention," he added.

"The priority is to understand what happens in the countries that host the grands prix and in Italy and Great Britain, where most of the people in the paddock come from."

When F1 does decide the get the season underway, Damiani hopes teams can be flexible enough to start racing within two months.

Damiani says the teams have currently asked for 90 days' notice, which could soon become critical for early September's Italian Grand Prix.

"The teams have asked for 90 days' notice to start again and if we think about July we would already be late," Damiani said.

"Maybe there will be a rethink and 60 will be enough."

Be part of Autosport community

Join the conversation
Previous article Virtual F1 Chinese GP line-up revealed
Next article The revamped BAR that saved Button's career

Top Comments

There are no comments at the moment. Would you like to write one?

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe