Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

Super Formula
Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

How McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Feature
Formula 1
How McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Hungarian GP points real start of McLaren's F1 season - Honda

Honda believes McLaren's double-points finish in the Hungarian Grand Prix has signalled the real start to the alliance's Formula 1 season

Honda's return to F1 has been under the spotlight this year, with Jenson Button and Fernando Alonso taking big penalties in Austria last month for exceeding their power unit allocation.

But reliability has started to improve recently, with Alonso and Button able to take advantage of a chaotic race at the Hungaroring to finish fifth and ninth.

"We've got two cars in the points for the first time this season, so our season has now really started," Honda motosport chief Yasuhisa Arai told AUTOSPORT.

"A bigger force has helped us. We're very, very lucky."

Arai was pleased with how the outfit performed across the weekend, with an electrical problem for Alonso in qualifying the only blot on its copybook.

"On Saturday I was very disappointed, but on Sunday there was a change and we had a very good situation," said Arai.

"Fernando is a fantastic, great driver. The day was perfect.

"Over the weekend the engine data was fine, although we had a small issue on Saturday, but now perfect."

While the teams will close their factories for the mandatory two-week summer shutdown before the Belgium Grand Prix, Arai said Honda will keep pushing as it looks to boost the performance of its engine.

"On the control side things are very good, so we will apply more power output for Spa and Monza, both power circuits," he said.

"We want to compete at the top so we have to chase."

"We don't have a holiday. We have a good summer, but no vacation. We will still be pushing hard.

"Although the teams shut down, we still have to work. We will still be pushing hard."

Previous article Don't dismiss reverse grids too quickly
Next article Singapore GP will be 'next opportunity' for Red Bull F1 team

Top Comments

Latest news