Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

What will F1's switch to a 60-40 power split bring? The drivers give their verdict

Formula 1
Canadian GP
What will F1's switch to a 60-40 power split bring? The drivers give their verdict

Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

Super Formula
Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

How McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Feature
Formula 1
How McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Hulkenberg to race at F1 70th Anniversary GP, Perez still COVID-19 positive

Nico Hulkenberg is to have a second outing with Racing Point in Formula 1's 70th Anniversary Grand Prix at Silverstone after Sergio Perez tested positive for COVID-19 once again

After missing the British GP the Mexican was given the official go-ahead to end his quarantine yesterday by Public Health England, following some uncertainty over whether it should have lasted for seven or 10 days.

However under the FIA Code of Conduct he then had to get a negative test result before he was allowed in the paddock in order to compete in the race. He duly took a test on Thursday.

The team announced today: "Sergio's test has returned a positive result and he will continue to follow the guidance of Public Health England. He is physically well and recovering."

"The whole team wishes Sergio and his family well and we look forward to his return."

The team gave no indication about the prospect of Perez racing in Spain next weekend.

Hulkenberg will thus get a second opportunity to race the RP20 after he was unable to start the British GP when a clutch issue meant that the team was not able to start his power unit in the garage.

"I'm excited to get going again with the team at Silverstone," he said. "Last weekend, it was a real step into the unknown having been away from the team for a few years - and driving a car I'd never driven before.

"I've learned a lot in the last week about the RP20, and I am ready to apply my experiences to this weekend.

"Racing at the same track again makes things a bit easier and the team has done a great job in helping me get up to speed.

"I think we can fight for points this weekend, which is definitely my goal. I also want to wish Checo all the best in his recovery."

"Nico did a really strong job last weekend after receiving a last-minute call to drive for us at Silverstone," said team boss Otmar Szafnauer. "And he proved why he was an obvious choice to stand in for Checo.

"It was a big shame he couldn't actually take the start of the race last Sunday, but all that hard work will prove very useful for this weekend.

"We miss having Checo with us, but we wish him well and look forward to welcoming him back into the team in the near future."

Previous article Hamilton: Not the right time for Mercedes F1 contract talks
Next article Racing Point loses 15 points, gets €400k fine after Renault wins F1 protest

Top Comments

Latest news