Honda and Sauber cancel 2018 Formula 1 engine supply deal

Honda and Sauber have agreed to call off their deal for the Japanese manufacturer to supply the team with Formula 1 engines in 2018

Honda and Sauber cancel 2018 Formula 1 engine supply deal

The deal was put together by Honda motorsport's general manager Masashi Yamamoto and former Sauber team principal Monisha Kaltenborn after the latter made an enquiry about a supply.

Following Kaltenborn's departure in June, just before the Azerbaijan GP, Sauber and Honda held talks and decided "differences in the future directions" of the two parties meant it was best to cancel the deal.

"We had built a good relationship with Sauber, and had been looking forward to entering the 2018 F1 season together," said Yamamoto.

"However, during discussions after management changes at the team, we reached a mutual agreement to call-off the project due to differences in the future directions of both parties.

"We would like to thank Sauber for their cooperation, and wish them all the best for their future."

What Honda's latest blow means for its F1 future

Sauber team boss Frederic Vasseur said: "It is very unfortunate that we have to discontinue the planned collaboration with Honda at this stage.

"However, this decision has been made for strategic reasons, and with the best intent or the future of the Sauber F1 Team in mind.

"We would like to thank Honda for their collaboration and wish them all the best for their future in Formula 1."

Given Sauber's struggles this season, it is believed the team feels it needs a more competitive engine next term to changes its fortunes.

It remains unclear whether Sauber will extend its long-time Ferrari deal or secure a deal with Mercedes or Renault.

For Honda, its only link in F1 now is with McLaren, though the future of that relationship is under threat following a lack of power and poor reliability from the engine so far this season.

McLaren is considering splitting with Honda, but it is believed Mercedes and Ferrari are not interested in supplying the team with engines, leaving Renault as its only alternative.

Regarding the impact of the Sauber deal being cancelled, Honda said in a statement: "Honda's passion for motorsports and strong commitment to Formula 1 remains unchanged."

shares
comments
Romain Grosjean called Toto Wolff to resolve British Grand Prix row
Previous article

Romain Grosjean called Toto Wolff to resolve British Grand Prix row

Next article

Aerodynamic fairings will change halo's looks for 2018 F1 season

Aerodynamic fairings will change halo's looks for 2018 F1 season
Load comments
Unpacking the technical changes behind F1 2022's rules shakeup Plus

Unpacking the technical changes behind F1 2022's rules shakeup

Formula 1 cars will look very different this year as the long-awaited fresh rules finally arrive with the stated aim of improving its quality of racing. Autosport breaks down what the return of 'ground effect' aerodynamics - and a flurry of other changes besides - means for the teams, and what fans can expect

Formula 1
Jan 21, 2022
Why new era F1 is still dogged by its old world problems Plus

Why new era F1 is still dogged by its old world problems

OPINION: The 2022 Formula 1 season is just weeks away from getting underway. But instead of focusing on what is to come, the attention still remains on what has been – not least the Abu Dhabi title decider controversy. That, plus other key talking points, must be resolved to allow the series to warmly welcome in its new era

Formula 1
Jan 20, 2022
The Schumacher trait that will give Haas hope in F1 2022 Plus

The Schumacher trait that will give Haas hope in F1 2022

Mick Schumacher’s knack of improving during his second season in a championship was a trademark of his junior formula career, so his progress during his rookie Formula 1 campaign with Haas was encouraging. His target now will be to turn that improvement into results as the team hopes to reap the rewards of sacrificing development in 2021

Formula 1
Jan 19, 2022
The “glorified taxi” driver central to F1’s continued safety push Plus

The “glorified taxi” driver central to F1’s continued safety push

As the driver of Formula 1’s medical car, Alan van der Merwe’s job is to wait – and hope his skills aren’t needed. JAMES NEWBOLD hears from F1’s lesser-known stalwarts

Formula 1
Jan 15, 2022
When BMW added F1 'rocket fuel' to ignite Brabham's 1983 title push Plus

When BMW added F1 'rocket fuel' to ignite Brabham's 1983 title push

There was an ace up the sleeve during the 1983 F1 title-winning season of Nelson Piquet and Brabham. It made a frontrunning car invincible for the last three races to see off Renault's Alain Prost and secure the combination's second world title in three years

Formula 1
Jan 13, 2022
How “abysmal” reliability blunted Brabham’s first winner Plus

How “abysmal” reliability blunted Brabham’s first winner

Brabham’s first world championship race-winning car was held back by unreliable Climax engines – or so its creators believed, as STUART CODLING explains

Formula 1
Jan 10, 2022
The steps Norris took to reach a new level in F1 2021 Plus

The steps Norris took to reach a new level in F1 2021

Lando Norris came of age as a grand prix driver in 2021. McLaren’s young ace is no longer an apprentice or a quietly capable number two – he’s proved himself a potential winner in the top flight and, as STUART CODLING finds out, he’s ready to stake his claim to greatness…

Formula 1
Jan 9, 2022
The original F1 maestro who set the bar for Schumacher and Hamilton Plus

The original F1 maestro who set the bar for Schumacher and Hamilton

Juan Manuel Fangio, peerless on track and charming off it, established the gold standard of grand prix greatness. NIGEL ROEBUCK recalls a remarkable champion

Formula 1
Jan 8, 2022