Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Red Bull went against Verstappen's set-up feedback: “Sometimes they have to feel it”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull went against Verstappen's set-up feedback: “Sometimes they have to feel it”

What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Verstappen reignites quit threats amid doubts over 2027 F1 rule changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen reignites quit threats amid doubts over 2027 F1 rule changes

Update: Hamilton avoids Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Update: Hamilton avoids Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

Grapevine: Sun: Jaguar Dump Irvine and de la Rosa

Jaguar's Formula One team have released their two drivers, Briton Eddie Irvine and Spain's Pedro de la Rosa, the Sun newspaper reports.

Jaguar's Formula One team have released their two drivers, Briton Eddie Irvine and Spain's Pedro de la Rosa, the Sun newspaper reports.

Friday's edition said the two would be replaced by Australia's Mark Webber from Minardi and Williams test driver Antonio Pizzonia of Brazil.

Irvine, the oldest driver in Formula One at 36, was out of contract at the end of this season. De la Rosa had one year left on his contract at Jaguar and team boss Niki Lauda had previously stated the Spaniard will continue to drive with the team next year.

However, recent speculations - now made firm in the Sun - suggest the Ford-owned team will be releasing de la Rosa, who did not score any points for the team since he joined them in 2001, and should that be the case they will have to pay him off.

Jaguar's spokesman was unavailable for comment.

Irvine has played a guessing game about his future for several months with Jaguar and Jordan seen the most likely teams to employ him next season - if he decided to carry on racing.

"This does not really affect my plans for the future," the Sun quoted him as saying. "But if I were a team boss, I would not be happy fielding two inexperienced drivers."

Webber, 26, made his Formula One debut in the 2002 season and scored two points. Pizzonia, 22, had a successful one-off test for Jaguar in September.

Williams team boss Frank Williams said in September he believed Pizzonia was good enough for Formula One. "He is quick enough certainly and I think a good enough racer to be in Formula One," he said.

Previous article Stoddart Planning to Sell European Aviation (Updated)
Next article Feature: Points Mean Prizes, Spring Surprises

Top Comments

Latest news