Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Red Bull went against Verstappen's set-up feedback: “Sometimes they have to feel it”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull went against Verstappen's set-up feedback: “Sometimes they have to feel it”

What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Verstappen reignites quit threats amid doubts over 2027 F1 rule changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen reignites quit threats amid doubts over 2027 F1 rule changes

Update: Hamilton avoids Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Update: Hamilton avoids Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

FOTA members to meet on Tuesday following Red Bull and Ferrari exits

Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) members are to meet on Tuesday to discuss where the body goes from here, following the shock resignation of Red Bull Racing and Ferrari last week

As AUTOSPORT exclusively revealed on Friday, Ferrari and Red Bull Racing elected to quit the organisation in the wake of mounting frustrations following a long-running row over the implementation of the Resource Restriction Agreement (RRA).

Although their exit, which will become official at the start of February, prompted talk that FOTA could fall apart, high level sources within the organisation say they are actually upbeat about its future now.

One team principal, whose outfit remains a member of FOTA, said that the removal of Red Bull Racing and Ferrari could actually provide some benefits to the organisation - in allowing it to get things done.

"It could now be easier to make some positive decisions, rather than there being this log jam with things constantly being blocked by teams rowing with each other," said the source. "So let's see where we stand after the meeting."

Further support for FOTA came on Monday when Mercedes GP chiefs also backed the future of FOTA - which they felt needed to stay together for the good of the sport.

Mercedes-Benz motorsport boss Norbert Haug said during a teleconference call: "I think it is absolutely vital that FOTA is existing. The aims that we are having, the targets, are very important and I think it is up to the so-called top teams to really balance it out."

Although Ferrari and Red Bull Racing's frustrations are understood to have been caused by the RRA row, both teams are still committed to making the cost control work.

AUTOSPORT revealed last week that the two teams, plus Mercedes GP and McLaren, will get together within the next fortnight to discuss a solution to the ongoing standoff over the RRA.

Mercedes GP CEO Nick Fry said: "It's obviously quite a difficult time at the moment and clearly we, Mercedes AMG, are very supportive of cost control in F1.

"It's a difficult thing to achieve when everyone is so competitive but we certainly will work with others to try and fulfil the aim of an RRA. I think even though Ferrari have withdrawn at the moment they also are intent on finding a solution to this.

"We've certainly hit a bump in the road but I believe that work will continue in the background to try and resolve this and we will do whatever we can to support that."

Previous article Senna movie producers set sights on BAFTA
Next article Peter Gethin, winner of the 1971 Italian Grand Prix, dies aged 71

Top Comments

Latest news