Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

BTCC Snetterton: Sensational Sutton strikes from 10th to win, disaster for Ingram

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Sensational Sutton strikes from 10th to win, disaster for Ingram

DTM Zandvoort: Van der Linde grabs victory for BMW as Dorr takes maiden podium

DTM
Zandvoort
DTM Zandvoort: Van der Linde grabs victory for BMW as Dorr takes maiden podium

Why wet Canadian GP will be "the perfect storm" for F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why wet Canadian GP will be "the perfect storm" for F1

BTCC Snetterton: Rainford dominates to lead home Ingram

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Rainford dominates to lead home Ingram

Why we need to talk about social media in F1

Feature
Formula 1
Why we need to talk about social media in F1

Super Formula Suzuka: Fukuzumi sees off Iwasa for Rookie Racing's first win

Super Formula
Suzuka
Super Formula Suzuka: Fukuzumi sees off Iwasa for Rookie Racing's first win

Hamilton’s sim-less approach seems to pay off as he outqualifies Leclerc twice at Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Hamilton’s sim-less approach seems to pay off as he outqualifies Leclerc twice at Canadian GP

The fine lines that denied "faster" Antonelli in Canadian GP qualifying

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
The fine lines that denied "faster" Antonelli in Canadian GP qualifying

FIA warns against working with Stepney

The FIA will take no formal steps against Nigel Stepney but has warned motorsport teams from collaborating with the former Ferrari engineer until the summer of 2009

Stepney is under police investigation in Italy, on suspicions that he gave confidential Ferrari information to rivals McLaren while he was employed at Maranello.

The affair led the FIA to exclude McLaren from the 2007 constructors' championship and fine the squad with $100 million USD.

The governing body further said its legal department would meet with Stepney and make a decision on his future in motorsport as well.

But instead, the FIA said on Friday it was not in a position to officially ban Stepney from motorsport - only to recommend to teams that they consider carefully whether or not to collaborate with the Briton.

A statement released by the FIA on Friday night said: "In its investigations of last year regarding the unauthorised use of intellectual property within Formula One, the FIA heard allegations that Mr Nigel Stepney, then employed by Ferrari, had passed confidential Ferrari information to an employee of Vodafone McLaren Mercedes.

"Mr Stepney has admitted this allegation and apologised to the FIA, though he disputes the seriousness and extent of his involvement.

"As Mr Stepney is not a licence-holder of the FIA, no formal action may be taken against him under the International Sporting Code (though the FIA is co-operating with the Italian police, who are investigating Mr. Stepney's actions).

"As a matter of good order, the FIA recommends to its licensees that they do not professionally collaborate with Mr Stepney without conducting appropriate due diligence regarding his suitability for involvement in international motor sport.

"This recommendation stands until 1 July 2009."

Previous article Australia preview quotes: McLaren
Next article Interview: Glock sets rookie year goals

Top Comments

Latest news