Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Feature
Formula 1
Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Ferrari Could Use Old Car in Australia (Updated)

Formula One World Champions Ferrari unveiled their new car for the 2002 season on Wednesday but said they may still begin the campaign with last year's vehicle.

Formula One World Champions Ferrari unveiled their new car for the 2002 season on Wednesday but said they may still begin the campaign with last year's vehicle.

The new F2002 car, a radical re-working featuring a new integrated gear-box, was given the traditional glitzy presentation at the Italian team's factory in the presence of Ferrari's World Champion driver Michael Schumacher.

But Ferrari team manager Jean Todt told reporters a decision on whether to race the new model at the opening Grand Prix in Australia would not be taken until after further testing of the car.

"Now we will see how it is on the track and then decide," said Todt.

Technical director Ross Brawn said the option of the old car, itself a winner in the Constructor's Championship, was a useful "parachute" but stressed it could only be a stop-gap for early races.

"The old car will not remain competitive forever. It may be the choice for the first few races but not for the season.

"Everything tells us that the new car is significantly quicker then the old car which is why we built it. It is lighter, has a lower centre of gravity and more engine power," said Brawn, adding that a decision over which car to start with would be made in the "next few weeks".

Old And New

Brawn also raised the possibility that Ferrari could ship both the old and new car to Australia and may even race both of them. Ferrari insisted they were not behind schedule and said they had planned to take more time over development due to the lack of real regulation changes.

"This year was unique in that we could race our previous year's car -- a car that didn't do badly," said Brawn.

"What was clear was that, unlike in previous years, we did not need to build a car because of a change of regulations but we should only build a car if it could be better. At the time, when we would normally release the designs of the car, we were not satisfied with the margin of improvement - it was not enough.

"We decided to prolong the development to ensure that we had an appreciable step-up in performance. This has resulted in a shorter period of testing before the first race. We will use the next 20 days to run the car at Fiorano and Mugello and will then make our decision based on the normal parameters of performance and reliability," added Brawn.

The new Ferrari car has, however, earned the seal of approval from the man who will drive it - World Champion Michael Schumacher.

"It's beautiful and has some impressive innovations. I am astonished a car can be built so low and so tight - I hope it drives as fast as it looks," said the German.

Previous article Ferrari launch: Schuey fired up
Next article Ferrari launch: di Montezemolo happy

Top Comments

Latest news