Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Feature
Formula 1
Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone to fight £1billion UK tax bill

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone is set for another lengthy legal battle after being told he faces the prospect of paying a £1billion tax bill

The 84-year-old has been under investigation by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) regarding his involvement, or otherwise, with a family trust known as Bambino Holdings set up for his ex-wife and daughters.

Following a hearing in London's High Court on Thursday, HMRC claims a 2008 settlement with Ecclestone is invalid on the grounds he withheld information.

That stems from Ecclestone's bribery trial that took place in Germany last year.

Ecclestone brought an early halt to those proceedings by paying £60million, allowed under German law, rather than running the risk of a 10-year jail term should he have been found guilty.

Information from that case led to HMRC reopening its investigation into the trust, with lawyer Tom Weisselberg informing judge Kenneth Parker: "From HMRC's perspective the settlement is void."

Judge Parker told the hearing "the tax and interest demanded [from Ecclestone] is over one billion pounds".

In response, Ecclestone has taken the decision to sue HMRC for what he sees as its failure "to respect a decision made back in 2008".

Speaking in his motorhome in the Monaco Grand Prix paddock ahead of this weekend's race, Ecclestone reiterated his stance, saying: "I have never had anything to do with the trust.

"I'll be fighting this all the way. I've paid all the taxes I've ever had to pay.

"I could do whatever I do from here [Monaco], or Switzerland.

"I've a Swiss residence and the Swiss say I'm a Swiss domicile, so it would be easy to do it from there."

Ecclestone's remarks underlined a statement issued by his office that read: "Mr Ecclestone will...be pursuing other legal avenues to ensure that HMRC is held to its original agreement of 2008.

"He merely wants HMRC to act in accordance with its obligations and the law.

"Mr Ecclestone has chosen to live in the UK, even though he could have lived and worked elsewhere, and he has always been content to pay UK taxes at whatever rate has applied."

Suggested to Ecclestone the case could take years, he said: "I don't know. It shouldn't."

Previous article Jules Bianchi's recovery now 'stagnant', says F1 driver's father
Next article How impressive was Verstappen?

Top Comments