Carlos Sainz Jr explains comment that angered Red Bull F1 team

Carlos Sainz Jr believes his comment that he is unlikely to be at Toro Rosso for the 2018 Formula 1 season was misconstrued and blown out of proportion

Carlos Sainz Jr explains comment that angered Red Bull F1 team

Sainz had an offer from the works Renault F1 team for this season but Red Bull took up its option to keep him.

The Spaniard has repeatedly said he wants to step up to the senior team, but Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo both have contracts for next year.

Sainz's comment on Thursday that a fourth year at Toro Rosso was "unlikely" led to Red Bull team principal Christian Horner, Red Bull motorsport advisor Helmut Marko and Toro Rosso chief Franz Tost all questioning his loyalty.

In response to the furore, Sainz stood by his remarks, insisting that he was grateful to Red Bull but reiterating that he had ambitions beyond staying at Toro Rosso.

"Everything probably has been thrown a bit out of proportion," he said.

"What I said yesterday is nothing strange, I believe.

"As a driver, as an ambitious driver, as a human, it's clear my first goal in life is to become a Red Bull driver and start fighting for podiums with them again - I owe them everything.

"I owe Toro Rosso and the people there everything I know in Formula 1 at the moment, but I have ambitions.

"My ambition is to be a Red Bull driver one day and hopefully sooner rather than later.

"What I said is a fact: in 12 years of Toro Rosso, no one has been a fourth-year.

"For me to be a fourth-year, I'll be the first one in history.

"It would be a strange situation, usually it's a junior team where you want to develop drivers."

When asked directly about Tost, Horner and Marko's comments, Sainz said: "I'm not stupid, I see what happens, how everything developed.

"I was a bit surprised, if you can put it that way.

"It's something that sometimes in F1 happens.

"I will learn from this and from now onwards, it will stay a bit more internal."

Autosport understands Red Bull took up the option to keep Sainz in the Red Bull family for 2018 last week.

When asked if it was 100% clear he will be driving in one of the Red Bull teams next year, Sainz said: "By the looks of it, it looks like they keep trusting in me, which is great news for me.

"It looks like my bosses are happy with my performance, so by the looks of it, at the moment, yes.

"2017 is a very long year ahead, things could change."

It is believed Sainz has had discussions with other F1 teams regarding a move beyond this season, though he would not comment on whether there had been any offers made.

"I cannot talk about that and I will not talk about that because then a big story will come up," he said.

shares
comments
Mercedes rules out Vettel clash as Hamilton F1 gearbox change cause

Previous article

Mercedes rules out Vettel clash as Hamilton F1 gearbox change cause

Next article

Fernando Alonso has to revert to old-spec Honda for Austrian GP

Fernando Alonso has to revert to old-spec Honda for Austrian GP
Load comments
The squandered potential of a 70s F1 underdog Plus

The squandered potential of a 70s F1 underdog

A podium finisher in its first outing but then never again, the BRM P201 was a classic case of an opportunity squandered by disorganisation and complacency, says STUART CODLING

Formula 1
Sep 18, 2021
The other notable Monza escape that F1 should learn from Plus

The other notable Monza escape that F1 should learn from

OPINION: The headlines were dominated by the Italian Grand Prix crash between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton, who had the halo to thank for avoiding potentially serious injury. But two days earlier, Formula 1 had a lucky escape with a Monza pitlane incident that could also have had grave consequences

Formula 1
Sep 17, 2021
How Monza only added more questions to F1's sprint race conundrum Plus

How Monza only added more questions to F1's sprint race conundrum

With two sprint races under its belt, Formula 1 must now consider its options for them going forward. While they've helped deliver exciting racing on Sundays, the sprints themselves have been somewhat lacking - creating yet another conundrum for F1 to solve...

Formula 1
Sep 16, 2021
Who should Alfa Romeo sign for 2022's F1 season? Plus

Who should Alfa Romeo sign for 2022's F1 season?

OPINION: With Valtteri Bottas already signed up for 2022, all eyes are on the race for the second seat at Alfa Romeo next year. Antonio Giovinazzi is the current incumbent, but faces a tough competition from appealing short and long-term prospects

Formula 1
Sep 15, 2021
The "forced break" that was key to Ricciardo's Monza excellence Plus

The "forced break" that was key to Ricciardo's Monza excellence

OPINION: Daniel Ricciardo has long been considered one of Formula 1’s elite drivers. But his struggles at McLaren since switching from Renault for 2021 have been painful to watch at times. Yet he’s recovered to banish those memories with a famous Monza win – built on a critically important foundation

Formula 1
Sep 14, 2021
How Verstappen is ruining his F1 title battle with Hamilton Plus

How Verstappen is ruining his F1 title battle with Hamilton

OPINION: The Italian GP clash between Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen followed a running theme in the 2021 Formula 1 title fight. Their close-quarters battles have often resulted in contact - and although Hamilton has shown a willingness to back off, Verstappen must learn to temper his aggression

Formula 1
Sep 14, 2021
Italian Grand Prix Driver Ratings Plus

Italian Grand Prix Driver Ratings

Two drivers produced maximum-score performances as, for the second year in a row, Monza threw up an unpredictable result that left several others ruing what might have been

Formula 1
Sep 13, 2021
Why Ricciardo was set for Monza F1 triumph even without Verstappen/Hamilton crash Plus

Why Ricciardo was set for Monza F1 triumph even without Verstappen/Hamilton crash

The clash between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton was the major flashpoint the 2021 Italian Grand Prix will be remembered for. Yet by this point, race leader Daniel Ricciardo had already done the hard work that would put him in position to end his and McLaren's lengthy win droughts, on a memorable afternoon in Monza

Formula 1
Sep 13, 2021