Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

BTCC race winner Lloyd replaces Dorlin at Restart Racing

BTCC
Donington Park (Grand Prix Circuit)
BTCC race winner Lloyd replaces Dorlin at Restart Racing

Champion rally driver Fiorio dies aged 61

WRC
Champion rally driver Fiorio dies aged 61

Switch off or ramp up? How the smartest F1 drivers managed the summer break

Feature
Formula 1
Switch off or ramp up? How the smartest F1 drivers managed the summer break

Ford reveals new LMDh car on track at Paul Ricard

WEC
Ford reveals new LMDh car on track at Paul Ricard

Worm's Eye View is Polley's triple Formula Vee winning perspective at Silverstone

National
Worm's Eye View is Polley's triple Formula Vee winning perspective at Silverstone

Dickens defeats the Bentleys after intriguing Silverstone Allcomers tale

National
Dickens defeats the Bentleys after intriguing Silverstone Allcomers tale

The team orders debacle that made for a controversial Formula E title decider

Feature
Formula E
London ePrix II
The team orders debacle that made for a controversial Formula E title decider

Why Honda's F1 project looks completely different from its Red Bull years

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Honda's F1 project looks completely different from its Red Bull years

Alonso Writes Off Chances after Spin

Renault's Fernando Alonso wrote off his chances of victory at the Malaysian Grand Prix after spinning out in qualifying on Saturday.

Renault's Fernando Alonso wrote off his chances of victory at the Malaysian Grand Prix after spinning out in qualifying on Saturday.

"I didn't think at all we could win the race," said the 22-year-old Spaniard, who qualified on pole in Sepang last year before coming third for his first podium finish. "We are not strong enough. The Ferraris are much stronger than us and it will be difficult to fight with them. I don't think we can live with them."

World Champion Michael Schumacher, who won the season-opening race in Melbourne, secured pole position for Sunday to further underline Ferrari's dominance.

"Anyway, my race tomorrow is not with the Ferraris, it's against myself," said Alonso, who in Hungary last year became the youngest winner in Formula One history. Renault have designs on becoming the top challenger to Ferrari but a mistake at turn 13 by Alonso was a blow for the ambitious French team.

"I lost the car and spun," shrugged Alonso, who has been tipped as an outside bet for the world title this season. It's always difficult to start from the back but I think tomorrow will be no problem.

"Last year, two or three races I started from the back and managed always to be in the points. Tomorrow I hope to do the same thing."

Alonso, who finished third in Australia, added: "The start will be important but I think we can take points. I race always to the maximum, I like the circuit and the heat, so it will be an interesting race."

Previous article Button expects strong result
Next article Renault blows big chance

Top Comments

Latest news