Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Champion rally driver Fiorio dies aged 61

WRC
Champion rally driver Fiorio dies aged 61

Switch off or ramp up? How the smartest F1 drivers managed the summer break

Feature
Formula 1
Switch off or ramp up? How the smartest F1 drivers managed the summer break

Ford reveals new LMDh car on track at Paul Ricard

WEC
Ford reveals new LMDh car on track at Paul Ricard

Worm's Eye View is Polley's triple Formula Vee winning perspective at Silverstone

National
Worm's Eye View is Polley's triple Formula Vee winning perspective at Silverstone

Dickens defeats the Bentleys after intriguing Silverstone Allcomers tale

National
Dickens defeats the Bentleys after intriguing Silverstone Allcomers tale

The team orders debacle that made for a controversial Formula E title decider

Feature
Formula E
London ePrix II
The team orders debacle that made for a controversial Formula E title decider

Why Honda's F1 project looks completely different from its Red Bull years

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Honda's F1 project looks completely different from its Red Bull years

How Ericsson won another messy IndyCar street race

Feature
IndyCar
Markham
How Ericsson won another messy IndyCar street race

Red Bull F1 launch: Daniel Ricciardo crashed new RB14 on shakedown

Red Bull says its plans for Formula 1 pre-season testing remain on course, despite Daniel Ricciardo slightly damaging its new RB14 in a filming day crash at Silverstone on Monday

Ricciardo was giving the team's striking-looking 2018 design its first run at a wet Silverstone just hours after the first images of the car were released.

But the team had to cut short running before its 100km limit was reached because Ricciardo crashed out in the damp conditions, hitting the barriers at low speed.

Although the Australian escaped unharmed, sources suggest the impact was enough to damage the front of the car, including the suspension, nose, front wing and floor.

With teams normally tight on spare parts at this time of year, such an incident could have compromised preparations for the first official pre-season test at Barcelona next week if replacements could not be readied in time.

But with Red Bull having a week to get back in action, a team spokesman confirmed on Tuesday that everything would be fine for Barcelona.

The team will likely accelerate its spare parts programme to ensure that the RB14 is fully prepared for the beginning of testing action next week.

Although it did not have the perfect first day, Red Bull did get through most of its schedule, - including some pitstop practice - and Ricciardo was left upbeat over the early feeling of the car.

"It's hard to tell from a couple of laps but the initial feeling in the car is good," he said.

"I can already feel that the rear feels pretty settled, even in these poor conditions. Those are encouraging early signs."

Ricciardo added that the presence of the halo cockpit protection system caused no problems.

"So far I can see fine with the halo," he said.

"I'd only done a couple of installs with it before so it was pretty new today but I really didn't notice it was there, which is pretty good.

"Honestly, unless there's stuff above, I don't see any issues at all on a flat track.

"It's been a long day, trying to get everything going and complete the filming - but a lot better to have that here than in Barcelona."

Previous article Sauber F1 launch: 2018 C37 revealed with Alfa Romeo backing
Next article Renault F1 launch: RS18 revealed ahead of 2018 Formula 1 season

Top Comments

Latest news