Formula 1's engine manufacturers have been given "homework" following a recent meeting to discuss problems with the current power units, according to Honda motorsport chief Yasuhisa Arai.
Towards the end of November the F1 Commission voted not to pursue the idea of an alternative budget engine, with the aim instead of cutting the cost of the current power units.
With the budget engine idea parked, manufacturers were instead asked to work on a range of proposals to cover off engine concerns that are to be submitted by January 15.
Addressing the discussions that have so far taken place, Arai said: "Nothing has been decided. There were many discussions about many topics.
"We were given homework to look at options for the future. It hasn't progressed that much.
"The meeting itself was put together because of the cost issue and there are many options with regards to reducing costs.
"So it's now for all the manufactures to look into the options and then we will discuss these in the future. It could continue on for a long time.
"But it's positive for the world of F1 we are having these talks, from a sustainability and stability point of view."
Ferrari chief Maurizio Arrivabene insisted it was critical the team bosses, rather than the engineers, made the decisions on the way forward.
Arrivabene said: "The FIA came with a long list of things to do.
"We changed the approach of the meeting because it is not to say the turbo yes or mono-turbo yes, or the other way around, and try and tick the boxes.
"All the team principals that were present were setting a target.
"I like a lot the engineers, but if you let them decide, they are going to the sky.
"I proposed, and other people proposed, why we were there.
"We need to set a target for our engineers and they need to respect it.
"Then they get together and now they are trying to seriously go a step forward.
"You can't design an engine for 2018 in three hours.
"But I think the step they are making is looking good for the future to achieve the target that was set for them."
Autosport has produced a standalone special magazine to celebrate our 70th birthday. All current print subscribers will receive a copy for free. To order your copy of the 196-page Autosport 70th Anniversary issue, please go to: autosport.com/autosport70th