Hyundai boss Adamo explains Sordo's Rally Monza selection over Breen

Hyundai boss Andrea Adamo suggested Dani Sordo is better equipped to help the team retain its World Rally Championship manufacturers' crown after choosing him over Craig Breen for Rally Monza

Hyundai boss Adamo explains Sordo's Rally Monza selection over Breen

The Alzenau-based squad clinched its first makes' title last year and Hyundai currently sits at the top of the standings by just seven points over Toyota with one round remaining.

Sordo and Breen have shared the third i20 Coupe WRC with eight-time champion Sebastian Loeb this year, but with the Frenchman now focusing on his 2021 Dakar programme with Prodrive, it was a two-horse race for Monza.

Sordo won on only his second WRC outing of the season in last month's Rally Italia Sardegna, while Breen finished second to team-mate Ott Tanak on his most recent outing in Estonia.

Breen had been selected for Rally Ypres prior to Monza's addition to the calendar, but the Belgian Tarmac event was cancelled last month due to a rise in COVID-19 cases in the country.

From five Rally Monza starts, Sordo has two wins to his name in 2010 and 2013, while Breen's best result from three starts came last year when he ended just outside the podium places in fourth.

Explaining why he handed Sordo the third points-scoring drive, Adamo said: "ACI Rally Monza will be obviously a very important event for Hyundai Motorsport as we will be fighting to win our second WRC manufacturers' title.

"Among our drivers I decided to line up Dani in ACI Rally Monza.

"If we look at the characteristics of the rally, he can achieve a good result and help the team in achieving the title.

"It is testament to the hard work of everyone at Hyundai Motorsport that we have been competitive in recent events, but we must never take anything for granted.

"If we want to head into the winter with a second consecutive title - we must keep pushing in all areas of our operation."

Meanwhile WRC Promoter has issued a statement to affirm that all necessary planning for Rally Monza is "continuing at full pace".

The update follows a visit to Monza by representatives from the WRC and FIA on Tuesday.

The statement said: "The current Prime Ministerial decree for COVID-19 restrictions that is in place in Italy until the December 3 continues to allow professional sport to take place in Italy behind closed doors, and all planning for ACI Rally Monza has always been conducted under these known regulations.

"The event is fully compliant with the decree and ready to take place.

"Representatives have reported back on highest-level progress by the ACI [organising] team for a safe and successful event to take place and provide a fitting end to the 2020 FIA WRC season."

shares
comments
Mikkelsen: Rally Islas Canarias won't be an easy fight

Previous article

Mikkelsen: Rally Islas Canarias won't be an easy fight

Next article

Ogier delays his WRC retirement plans and will stay at Toyota for 2021

Ogier delays his WRC retirement plans and will stay at Toyota for 2021
Load comments

About this article

Series WRC
Drivers Dani Sordo , Craig Breen
Author Jason Craig
Why the casualty of rallying's evolution should still be cherished Plus

Why the casualty of rallying's evolution should still be cherished

The WRC's support categories are in a process of streamlining that will spell the end of a formalised 2WD world championship-level category. While its relevance to the top level has been questioned for some time, that doesn't mean it should be swept quietly under the carpet

WRC
Apr 5, 2021
Why WRC's hybrid path could leave it at a crossroads Plus

Why WRC's hybrid path could leave it at a crossroads

With all three major manufacturers committing to the World Rally Championship’s hybrid era from 2022, the future of the series is assured for now, but it could lead to trickier twists and turns further down the road

WRC
Apr 1, 2021
How Tanak froze out the competition at the Arctic Rally Plus

How Tanak froze out the competition at the Arctic Rally

Ott Tanak made up for a disastrous Monte Carlo Rally by leading all the way on the snow-kissed stages of the Arctic Rally Finland and in the process hit back at an event Toyota had been expected to dominate

WRC
Mar 1, 2021
What to expect from the WRC's venture to the Arctic Plus

What to expect from the WRC's venture to the Arctic

This week's Arctic Rally Finland will bring the World Rally Championship into new territory. And, almost without exception, the service park can't wait for the subzero challenge to commence

WRC
Feb 25, 2021
How Ogier achieved a fitting Monte Carlo farewell Plus

How Ogier achieved a fitting Monte Carlo farewell

Against pandemic-shaped odds, the World Rally Championship season opener went ahead in Monte Carlo last weekend as a familiar face again took top spot. But for an emotional Sebastien Ogier, his record-breaking eighth win meant more than most

WRC
Jan 25, 2021
What to look out for in the 2021 WRC Plus

What to look out for in the 2021 WRC

As the 2021 World Rally Championship prepares to launch amid tight COVID-19 restrictions in Monte Carlo, here are the eight things unrelated to the pandemic that you should keep an eye on this year

WRC
Jan 21, 2021
Evans on the talking points of WRC 2021 Plus

Evans on the talking points of WRC 2021

He came close to the title last year, and now Toyota's Elfyn Evans gives his verdict on what to expect from 2021 as the World Rally Championship prepares to reconvene for the Monte Carlo season opener

WRC
Jan 20, 2021
Why Britain's continued WRC absence is a wake-up call Plus

Why Britain's continued WRC absence is a wake-up call

OPINION: With Rally GB dropping off the World Rally Championship calendar for the second year in a row, one of Britain's best-attended sporting events faces an uncertain future. It's an unfortunate situation that points to troubling times ahead

WRC
Jan 12, 2021