Millennium Racing withdraws from WEC season-opener at Silverstone

The Millennium Racing LMP2 team run by Delta-ADR has been forced to withdraw from this weekend's opening round of the World Endurance Championship

Millennium Racing withdraws from WEC season-opener at Silverstone

The withdrawal of Millennium's pair of ORECA-Nissan 03s follows a delay in funding from parent company OMD, a Dubai-based group that is investing in motorsport and new automotive technologies.

A statement from Millennium read: "The budget was to be released by the end of March 2014, but unfortunately there has been circumstances that have prevented the commitment being honoured within the time constraints for Silverstone.

"OMD funds were deposited on January 7, 2014 within a major international bank, on an account legitimately owned by OMD. Political manoeuvres have been since then initiated by some international institutions in order to block OMD actions."

The statement explained that an international court of decision had confirmed the legitimacy of OMD to own and use these funds and instructed the World Bank to fully release them.

This decision is "currently being processed from an administrative perspective," the statement continued.

OMD managing director Bertrand Vallois said: "OMD will be able to fulfil all its commitments in the coming days, including [those] for the Millennium programme, which will then start according to the plan.

"This programme is very important for our future developments and we are looking forward to the next steps."

Millennium Racing team principal Simon Dowson said he was devastated to miss the Silverstone WEC event.

"Our programme has always been based on a long-term partnership, and alongside our disappointment of missing Silverstone, we have to stay positive about our future plans," he explained.

The Silverstone-based team will race in the WEC with a line-up including John Martin and Mike Conway, who last year took P2 victory in four of the eight races.

shares
comments
Satoshi Motoyama completes Nissan ZEOD RC line-up for Le Mans

Previous article

Satoshi Motoyama completes Nissan ZEOD RC line-up for Le Mans

Next article

Rebellion's new Toyota-powered R-One LMP1 WEC car makes track debut

Rebellion's new Toyota-powered R-One LMP1 WEC car makes track debut
Load comments

About this article

Series WEC
Author Gary Watkins
How 'Brilliant' Bob Wollek lived up to his nickname Plus

How 'Brilliant' Bob Wollek lived up to his nickname

Sportscar racing lost one of it's greatest talents 20 years ago today when Bob Wollek was knocked from his bicycle prior to the Sebring 12 Hours. The enigmatic Frenchman never won the Le Mans 24 Hours, but many still remember today why 'Brilliant Bob' became a legend

WEC
Mar 16, 2021
Top 10 moments of an underrated British great Plus

Top 10 moments of an underrated British great

Brian Redman was one of the best sportscar drivers of the 1960s and 1970s, as well as a three-time champion on the fearsome American Formula 5000 scene. To celebrate his 84th birthday Autosport contacted him about his best races – and he decided to write the piece himself…

WEC
Mar 9, 2021
How an endurance racing boom could help one of LMP2's top teams Plus

How an endurance racing boom could help one of LMP2's top teams

The G-Drive squad has been a mainstay of endurance racing in recent years, and has linked up with Russian manufacturer Aurus in recent years to promote its brand. With a change of rules in endurance racing's top tables, the team could be well-placed to take advantage of a potential boom...

WEC
Mar 7, 2021
How Ferrari’s Hypercar project could bolster Leclerc’s legacy Plus

How Ferrari’s Hypercar project could bolster Leclerc’s legacy

OPINION: Ferrari's planned return to the top category at the Le Mans 24 Hours has further heightened anticipation for the 2023 race. Few concrete details are currently known, but already it has a high-profile superstar angling for involvement, which would make a refreshing change

WEC
Mar 5, 2021
Why Ferrari is ending its 50-year top-flight sportscar exile Plus

Why Ferrari is ending its 50-year top-flight sportscar exile

Making a return to top-flight sportscar racing after 50 years away, Ferrari will enter the Le Mans Hypercar ranks in 2023. The Italian marque denies the link with Formula 1's new cost cap that frees up resources, but it's certainly no coincidence...

WEC
Feb 25, 2021
The ground-up refresh behind Toyota's new Le Mans challenger Plus

The ground-up refresh behind Toyota's new Le Mans challenger

Toyota's new GR010 contender for the World Endurance Championship's Hypercar era has little in common with the LMP1 TS050 that preceded it. But within the confines of the scaled back new rules, its latest challenger will be no less formidable a prospect

WEC
Jan 22, 2021
The Porsche icon that forged sportscar racing's greatest era Plus

The Porsche icon that forged sportscar racing's greatest era

Porsche is returning to the top class of Le Mans with an LMDh prototype that it hopes will write its next successful chapter in sportscar racing. But it will have to go some to emulate its 956/962, a car which defines the Group C age more than any other

WEC
Dec 16, 2020
How Kristensen forged the Mr Le Mans legend Plus

How Kristensen forged the Mr Le Mans legend

He is synonymous with success at the Circuit de la Sarthe, but Tom Kristensen's sportscar legacy amounts to much more than his record-breaking nine Le Mans wins, as the most successful driver ever at Sebring and a world champion to boot

WEC
Dec 5, 2020