Le Mans 24 Hours could be rescheduled again for October or November

The Le Mans 24 Hours could yet be run in October or November, if the rescheduled event can't happen in September as is currently planned

Le Mans 24 Hours could be rescheduled again for October or November

In March, event organiser the Automobile Club de l'Ouest - in conjunction with the FIA and World Endurance Championship - announced that the 2020 Le Mans 24 Hours would be postponed until September 19-20 from its regular June date due to the consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Speaking to Motorsport Network in the latest of our exclusive #thinkingforward interviews with the leaders in world motorsport, ACO president Pierre Fillon revealed that should the event be unable to take place in September then he'd be willing to push back as far as November - with or without spectators allowed.

Fillon (below) said: "For sure, if at the end of July the authorities will tell us 'impossible in September but 100% possible we can do it in October or November' - of course, we would do that. It will not be the same 24 Hours that we are used to, but we are professional and we have great drivers. We ran in Spa in the snow last year!"

FIA World Endurance Championship CEO Gerard Neveu, also part of the #thinkingforward interview, stated that Le Mans should be enshrined when it comes to scheduling.

"If you think of the walls of our house, Le Mans is clearly the central pillar of all sportscar programmes," said Neveu. "So you must protect the main pillar if you want to maintain your house. Even if you have some damages, you must first protect this part. This is the guarantee that there is a future.

"The true reality is Le Mans is an exception. So you cannot take Le Mans like an average [race]. It can be an example, it can be a leader for the categories but when you discuss about the global platform, the championship, that's a little bit different. Le Mans is Le Mans, which is like Mount Everest."

Fillon admitted that the potential for a first-ever Le Mans run behind closed doors is a possibility, but that he was highly mindful of major sporting events being fluid in this regard.

"Yes, [behind closed doors] it's an option," he said. "In fact, at this time, nobody knows what will happen in September! We have a lot of big events planned in France before then, like the Tour de France and Roland Garros. The question is are we able to organise an event with more than 100,000 people? I don't know the answer to that.

"If you listen to our president, maybe after the middle of July something is possible, but if you listen to Germany, it's nothing before the end of August. I just read that a big event in Munich [Oktoberfest, from September 19-October 4] is cancelled, so nobody knows."

Fillon outlined three options that the ACO is currently considering, depending on what restrictions are still in place going into September.

"Option one is that we're allowed to run our event with fans, maybe with some constraints like masks and so on," he said.

"The second option is we have no more than 5,000 people, or something like that - so that's a good option for the TV but not good for the fans who want to attend. And, for sure, this is not a true Le Mans - it's not just about the race, it's an experience for all the spectators.

"And option three is that it's impossible to organise the 24 Hours of Le Mans event at all. For sure, we hope that is not the option! But, at this moment, we cannot exclude that."

shares
comments
Toyota LMP1 organisation gets new name
Previous article

Toyota LMP1 organisation gets new name

Next article

How a troubled racer became the last great Group C car

How a troubled racer became the last great Group C car
Load comments
Why an F1-snubbed British world champion has no regrets in retirement Plus

Why an F1-snubbed British world champion has no regrets in retirement

He may not have won the Le Mans 24 Hours - falling agonisingly short in 2016 - and didn't get the opportunities in Formula 1 his talents merited. But after calling time on his professional career last month, Anthony Davidson says his pride in his performances with Peugeot and Toyota in LMP1 mean more than the results he achieved

WEC
Dec 17, 2021
Why Le Mans didn't decide Toyota's WEC title outcome in 2021 Plus

Why Le Mans didn't decide Toyota's WEC title outcome in 2021

Mike Conway, Kamui Kobayashi and Jose Maria Lopez scored a second successive World Endurance Championship title in the #7 Toyota, as its new Le Mans Hypercar went unbeaten. Autosport recaps how each of the four classes in the 2021 season were won and picks out the best LMH and GTE drivers

WEC
Nov 28, 2021
The unanswered questions that define WEC 2021's controversial ending Plus

The unanswered questions that define WEC 2021's controversial ending

OPINION: The deeply unsatisfying ending to a brilliant World Endurance Championship GTE Pro battle in Bahrain had Ferrari provisionally heading back from the desert as the victor. But Porsche plans to appeal the outcome, which rests on a number of confusing elements that have yet to be satisfactorily explained

WEC
Nov 9, 2021
How the WEC's heavyweight duel reached its controversial flashpoint Plus

How the WEC's heavyweight duel reached its controversial flashpoint

The Ferrari versus Porsche fight for the World Endurance Championship's GTE Pro title had been a finely-poised affair, right up until Alessandro Pier Guidi's punt on Michael Christensen in the closing stages of the Bahrain 8 Hours handed Ferrari a provisional title, pending Porsche's appeal. Here's how the controversy played out

WEC
Nov 8, 2021
The remarkable fixes Toyota used to avert another Le Mans disaster Plus

The remarkable fixes Toyota used to avert another Le Mans disaster

The 1-2 finish achieved by Toyota at this year's Le Mans 24 Hours was a result that will have surprised few, given its status as pre-event favourite. But the result was anything but straightforward, as worsening fuel pressure concerns required the team's drivers and engineers to pursue "creative fixes" on the fly. Here is the full story of how it reached the end without a lengthy pit visit

Le Mans
Nov 3, 2021
How the #7 Toyota squad moved closer to clinching WEC's 2021 title Plus

How the #7 Toyota squad moved closer to clinching WEC's 2021 title

In the penultimate round of the 2021 World Endurance Championship, a better run of tyre wear for Mike Conway, Jose Maria Lopez and Kamui Kobayashi brought the Toyota trio its third win from five events, as the #7 squad put one hand on the title. Here's how the first of the WEC's two Bahrain enduros played out

WEC
Nov 1, 2021
The 10 greatest drives of lost legend Jo Siffert Plus

The 10 greatest drives of lost legend Jo Siffert

It's 50 years since Jo Siffert was killed in his prime at Brands Hatch. The Swiss scored just two world championship wins in a Formula 1 career spent largely with privateer teams, but showed on numerous occasions in single-seaters and in sportscars with Porsche that he could beat any of the best drivers of his era given the right equipment

Formula 1
Oct 24, 2021
Inside the Le Mans finish too barmy for Hollywood Plus

Inside the Le Mans finish too barmy for Hollywood

Team WRT has been at the forefront of GT racing for years and made a successful move to prototypes for 2021, capped by an LMP2 win on its Le Mans debut. It could've been even better had the race been one lap shorter, when its cars ran 1-2, but the stranger-than-fiction reality has spurred the team to reach greater heights

Le Mans
Oct 16, 2021