Triple Eight spoke to van Gisbergen over McLaughlin parking spat

Triple Eight says it had words with driver Shane van Gisbergen about the Pukekohe post-race incident in which he blocked in Supercars title rival Scott McLaughlin

Triple Eight spoke to van Gisbergen over McLaughlin parking spat

During post-race celebrations last Saturday, winner van Gisbergen pulled up so close to McLaughlin's door that the second-placed driver could not get out.

McLaughlin's DJR Team Penske crew eventually pushed his Ford backwards to give him room to escape the cockpit, but not before he hit the side of van Gisbergen's car a number of times with his blocked-in door.

The incident - which van Gisbergen labelled a "shitfight" - came amid rising tensions between Triple Eight and Penske, although van Gisbergen claimed to not have realised what had happened until after he was out of the car.

That claim was given some legitimacy by the fact that he did park close to the centre of the parc ferme #1 board, which had clearly been placed too close to the middle of the area cordoned off for post-race celebrations.

But Triple Eight team manager Mark Dutton said he was not convinced and had spoken to van Gisbergen.

"If you want to be technical, Shane parked with the board in the middle of his car," said Dutton.

"But you go, 'come on mate, you probably could have paid more attention and looked to your left'.

"If you look at the in-car, he's so pumped and so excited at the end of the race that it wouldn't surprise me if he was oblivious to it.

"We like playing the nice guy as much as we can throughout everything. We spoke about it and said 'come on...'.

"Some people saw it as funny. At the end of the day no one was hurt, there was no cost to it. I think sometimes you need to have a sense of humour.

"We do that to each other in the car park, different teams. Everyone gets on in the paddock so well that those kinds of jokes go on all the time.

"Sometimes, maybe, the timing is better than others."

Van Gisbergen joked that he thought about doing it again if he won on the Sunday, before admitting that he should have parked further to the right the first time around.

"The shit parking mistake turned out to be a big shitfight, more than I thought," he said.

"Anyway, I contemplated 'what if I win today, maybe I should do it again'.

"I don't really care, I don't get into that stuff; If I had my time again I wouldn't line up on the board, I would go for the side."

The big question during Sunday's race was what would happen if the two ended up in parc ferme again, particularly if McLaughlin won.

But it proved to be anticlimactic, van Gisbergen scrambling out of his car before victor McLaughlin finished his burnouts.

Even if the opportunity had been there to park van Gisbergen in, McLaughlin told Autosport that he still would not have done it.

"No. Flat no," he said.

"Whatever they want to say, that it was a mistake or whatever, I've seen the board positions. I parked with enough room to give us both space to get out."

shares
comments
Ford's new Supercars Mustang for 2019 begins track testing

Previous article

Ford's new Supercars Mustang for 2019 begins track testing

Next article

Grand Tour's Abbie Eaton aiming for Supercars feeder series Super2

Grand Tour's Abbie Eaton aiming for Supercars feeder series Super2
Load comments

About this article

Series Supercars
Drivers Shane van Gisbergen , Scott McLaughlin
Author Andrew van Leeuwen
Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske? Plus

Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske?

OPINION: Roger Penske's operation helped lift Dick Johnson's faltering Ford team back to the top of Australian tin-tops. But, despite The Captain's departure, along with star driver Scott McLaughlin, there's no reason to expect an imminent decline from DJR

Supercars
Feb 26, 2021
Why Whincup's next move is no calculated gamble Plus

Why Whincup's next move is no calculated gamble

Supercars' most successful team of the past 15 years is set for a radical shakeup next year when Jamie Whincup retires from driving and takes over the reins at Triple Eight. But the team's outgoing boss Roland Dane has full faith that he'll be up to the task

Supercars
Feb 5, 2021
The top 10 Supercars drivers of 2020 Plus

The top 10 Supercars drivers of 2020

In a year of few constants, the Australian Supercars championship could be relied upon for its usual blend of rough and tumble racing with a V8 soundtrack. But who were its top performers in 2020?

Supercars
Dec 27, 2020
The 'lifetime deal' that broke down in double quick time Plus

The 'lifetime deal' that broke down in double quick time

Last year, David Reynolds signed a decade-long deal with Erebus, seemingly pledging his long-term Supercars future to the team. One year on, "Decade Dave's" contract has been reduced to tatters, with an undercurrent of discontent having brewed in 2020

Supercars
Dec 18, 2020
How Supercars now needs a new "human salt harvester" Plus

How Supercars now needs a new "human salt harvester"

Scott McLaughlin has been a divisive figure in Supercars over the past few years but, as he heads off to a fresh challenge in IndyCar, the Australian tin-top series needs to find someone else to fill his dramatic boots as the category enters a new era

Supercars
Oct 30, 2020
Why McLaughlin is wrong to label 2020 his best title Plus

Why McLaughlin is wrong to label 2020 his best title

OPINION: Scott McLaughlin was quick to describe his third Supercars title as his best yet. But even though it didn't match the dramatic backstory of his 2018 triumph, there's a good reason for him wanting to control the narrative this time around

Supercars
Oct 2, 2020
Why Supercars would settle for an anticlimactic title race Plus

Why Supercars would settle for an anticlimactic title race

It's a predicament that has faced the World Endurance Championship in the past, and now it's the turn of Supercars to have its biggest race - the Bathurst 1000 - taking the final slot on the calendar. Will its wider significance upstage the title battle?

Supercars
Sep 4, 2020
The 10-year wait for a Supercars champion halted by coronavirus Plus

The 10-year wait for a Supercars champion halted by coronavirus

When the Supercars season resumes James Courtney will be a Tickford Racing driver - but it's not the first time the star driver has flirted with the famous Ford squad

Supercars
May 18, 2020