Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe
Jamie Sharp, Chris Middlehurst
Feature
Opinion

How 50th anniversary Festival reminded the world of its charm

Big names were back on track and in the grandstand for the 50th Formula Ford Festival last weekend, which served to remind the world of the knockout contest's enduring appeal - even if it is unlikely to return to its former status as a must-win event on the single-seater ladder

“You can’t have so many people so close on lap time and something not happen. There’s going to be drama.”

Two-time Walter Hayes Trophy winner Michael Moyers’s prediction prior to the Formula Ford Festival final certainly proved accurate last weekend at Brands Hatch.

Three major contenders wiped out in a substantial collision, Jamie Sharp putting in a faultless drive to win from sixth on the grid, and 10 cars covered by less than 2.5 seconds at the chequered flag all featured in the 50th edition of the Festival, which was one of the most tightly contested and thrilling in years.

There was a general buzz in the outer paddock for the whole weekend, despite at times near-biblical weather, with just shy of 100 entrants intent on making the most of the special ‘anniversary’ and no fewer than 15 drivers in with a realistic shot of outright glory.

The profile of the event had been raised further in the days leading up to it by news that former Formula 1 racers and Festival winners Roberto Moreno and Jan Magnussen would be making a return, taking the fever level up a notch. And the ex-F1 racers weren’t just in the cars.

Watching Sunday’s action from the grandstand were Eddie Irvine, Ralph Firman Jr and Bruno Giacomelli, with six-time IndyCar champion Scott Dixon also in attendance. And for those who couldn’t be there – such as Stefan Johansson, who was preparing for the Royal Automobile Club art exhibition – there was the British Racing & Sports Car Club livestream, which the Swede admitted he was keeping an eye on.

The 1988 F3000 champion Moreno was back, 40 years on from his Festival win

The 1988 F3000 champion Moreno was back, 40 years on from his Festival win

Photo by: Gary Hawkins

It all served as a reminder of how important the Festival has been in the careers of many grand prix drivers and why they still hold it in such regard.

PLUS: Memories from Formula Ford Festival greats

“For me it was very special because that led to me having a three-year Lotus F1 test contract,” says Moreno of his 1980 Festival success.

“Peter Collins was watching the Festival and he convinced Colin Chapman [Lotus founder] to sign me up. By doing that, I was able to come back to Europe and continue my racing career. I think it [Festival victory] gave me a direction towards Formula 1. It allowed me to stay in Europe, otherwise I wouldn’t have the money to come back here again.”

The Festival will almost certainly never regain the same prestige it once held when the likes of Moreno and Magnussen were originally competing, but last weekend once again showed that it retains the charm, appeal and competitiveness it always had

While the event may no longer be a must-go destination for future F1 drivers, that’s certainly not to say those in the cockpit today lack ability. Far from it, with a driver required to constantly be on top of the machine at all times, according to 1992 Festival winner Magnussen.

“I love the challenge,” he says. “There’s so much enjoyment driving this car because you are out of shape the whole time. In the braking zone you get crossed up, you try to gather it back up again and get back on the power, you get crossed up again, you bounce over a kerb. It just feels like you’re trying to save yourself the whole time.”

Wet track conditions that plagued most of the weekend only served to showcase the skills of those behind the wheel to an even greater degree and the raw ability of those racing at the top of the category.

It perhaps wasn’t surprising that Joey Foster and Niall Murray occupied the front row of the grid for the final, with their vast wealth of Formula Ford experience seeing them through the heats and semi-finals in emphatic style. But a crash for Murray and off-track excursion for Foster in the final only served to show how close to the edge these drivers operate.

Magnussen battled hard on his way to finishing 11th in the final

Magnussen battled hard on his way to finishing 11th in the final

Photo by: Gary Hawkins

Yet it was two young drivers who were perhaps the most impressive over the weekend in the forms of Team USA Scholarship winner Max Esterson and Tom Mills, son of three-time Castle Combe champion and team boss Kevin.

Esterson was making his return to the Festival after finishing sixth last year and third overall in the National Formula Ford standings this term. His charge from 13th to third – via a breathtaking pass on Chris Middlehurst into Paddock Hill Bend with one wheel briefly on the grass – before being promoted to second post-race was well deserved.

Mills Jr, who only started car racing in May, was cruelly denied the chance to become the youngest-ever Festival winner when he was the helpless victim in Murray and Ollie White’s collision. But the skills the pair have learned in Formula Ford so far have put them in good stead for next season.

Esterson has already been testing GB3 machinery ahead of a move into the championship, while Mills may get the chance to race in GB4 as Kevin Mills Racing looks set to make the step up. This writer has no doubt that both will take well to slicks and wings, having learned about car control through their apprenticeships in Formula Ford.

The Festival will almost certainly never regain the same prestige it once held when the likes of Moreno and Magnussen were originally competing, but last weekend once again showed that it retains the charm, appeal and competitiveness that still grabs the attention of those who reached the pinnacle of the sport.

The 50th Festival showcased the very best of Formula Ford as Sharp took a memorable win

The 50th Festival showcased the very best of Formula Ford as Sharp took a memorable win

Photo by: Gary Hawkins

Previous article Cottingham/Girardo take Pall Mall Cup victory on weekend of National action
Next article Cottingham and Jordan into top 50 of Autosport National Driver Rankings

Top Comments

More from Stefan Mackley

Latest news