Renault Sport bosses believe Formula Renault 3.5 could return to Britain in 2015, after Silverstone was left off the calendar for a second straight season for next year.
The series last featured a British round in 2012, when it appeared on the support bill of the World Endurance Championship.
The World Series by Renault package last had a UK round in 2011, as Renault's UK division has decided to spend its money on the Goodwood Festival of Speed in recent years.
The 2014 FR3.5 calendar was revealed last Sunday with the only changes from this year being the Nurburgring replacing Spielberg and Jerez replacing Barcelona.
Renault Sport CEO Patrice Ratti said that he has been in talks with bosses at Renault UK, and that a 2015 event is a possibility.
"There needs to be an agreement between us and the subsidiaries," Ratti told AUTOSPORT.
"The situation involves Goodwood, and Renault UK didn't have the money.
"So for next year, no [UK round], but I have been discussing with [Renault UK managing director] Ken Ramirez and we will think about it for 2015 - it's not decided."
Ratti added that hosting an event at Silverstone is not cheap, but he is confident the series will return to the UK at some point.
"I'm sure one day we will come back, but I don't know when," he said.
"It's pretty expensive. Not just the circuit, but the traffic management and everything else that comes with it."
Renault is still looking at adding races outside of Europe to the FR3.5 schedule, but so far it has been unable to come up with a commercial package to enable it to expand the calendar without hurting teams' costs.
"There are no big changes next year," added Ratti.
"A big change would be to go to China or Brazil, for which we would need to find the finance.
"That is always something we are looking at, but we need to find a way to do it.
"We cannot give the costs to the teams, we have to handle the transportation costs and it is expensive."