Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

National
Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Feature
IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

WRC
Rally Japan
The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Feature
MotoGP
Catalan GP
Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

Formula 1
Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

Feature
MotoGP
What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

Rins began Suzuki MotoGP talks in Argentina last year

Alex Rins has revealed he began talks about remaining with Suzuki in MotoGP for 2021 during last year's Argentine Grand Prix weekend

The double MotoGP race winner announced last Sunday that he has signed a new two-year deal to remain with Suzuki beginning next season, with team boss Davide Brivio admitting to Autosport beforehand that everything was already in place.

Speaking in an online press conference on Thursday, Rins revealed how long talks with Suzuki had gone on for and had hoped to announced the deal following a podium finish in the early part of the now-delayed 2020 season.

"Sincerely, we started to talk with Suzuki in Argentina 2019," Rins said.

"So there we started to talk about the next two years and the final contract we signed maybe one week ago, or two weeks ago.

"We needed to wait because of the Japanese factory mentality, there are a lot of people to say 'ok now'.

"The COVID-19 [situation] for changed things.

"I wanted to announce the continuation with Suzuki at a race, and if possible on the podium.

"But this is the situation now."

Expanding on his decision to remain with Suzuki, Rins says the team is like his "second family", and was convinced by the team's "growing up" for 2020 after a strong winter testing phase.

He also admits there were options outside of Suzuki available to him, but he never held any discussions.

"Well, I signed with Suzuki because in the end now it's the team I want to be with, with the same people, same mechanics," he added.

"For sure, when I go out [racing] I miss home, I miss my dogs, my girlfriend.

"But when I go racing it's not difficult for me, because I have there [in Suzuki] my second family, the relationship is so nice.

"So, this is one thing. Another thing is because they are growing up for 2020.

"What I test in the pre-season was the things that I asked them to develop. So, I'm quite happy for this.

"We didn't sit with any teams. I had more options, for sure.

"I can say I'm lucky to have more options. But we didn't sit with another team to talk [about 2021]."

Suzuki is expected to confirm Joan Mir's contract renewal for the next two years imminently.

Previous article Iannone regrets departure from Ducati's MotoGP team in 2016
Next article MotoGP 20 review: Early release gamble pays off

Top Comments

Latest news