Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Feature
Formula 1
Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Alex Marquez to miss next two MotoGP rounds after Barcelona crash

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
Alex Marquez to miss next two MotoGP rounds after Barcelona crash

How Hamilton switched to a "different approach" for F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How Hamilton switched to a "different approach" for F1 Canadian GP

Where you can find the best battles of F1 2026

Feature
Formula 1
Where you can find the best battles of F1 2026

Red Bull outlines timeline for new F1 wind tunnel

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull outlines timeline for new F1 wind tunnel

Monster to become Aprilia's title sponsor in MotoGP from Italian GP

MotoGP
Monster to become Aprilia's title sponsor in MotoGP from Italian GP

Why quirky Montreal will remain F1's true North American gem

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why quirky Montreal will remain F1's true North American gem

MotoGP may need Barcelona surface 'utlimatum' - KTM's Bradley Smith

KTM rider Bradley Smith believes MotoGP might need to issue an ultimatum to Barcelona circuit organisers to ensure the track is resurfaced before any potential 2018 race

The state of the existing track surface, laid in 2007, was a point of contention throughout the Catalunya Grand Prix weekend.

Riders were unhappy about a lack of grip and an increase in the number of bumps, and some also criticised work to install a new chicane for MotoGP that was dropped after Friday practice.

Smith was in the latter camp, remarking pre-event that the update "needs to be a little bit more professional" based on how the new asphalt joined up with the rest of the track.

Asked if MotoGP could continue to race at Barcelona if the whole track is not resurfaced, Smith said: "Hopefully we won't come. That's finally what it comes down to.

"This is the only track on the calendar that's not actually reacting to Safety Commission, rider, organiser's requests.

"So at some point, you have to give them an ultimatum, and I think that this is the last year that they'll be in that situation.

"We have enough people that want us to go race [at new venues], we don't have to come here.

"New Tarmac is something we've been asking for a couple of years."

Changes to the track layout were prompted by Luis Salom's fatal accident during Moto2 practice in 2016.

A switch to the Formula 1 configuration for the balance of that weekend bypassed Turn 12, where Salom crashed, and both chicanes used in 2017 did the same.

Aprilia's Aleix Espargaro echoed Smith's comments that the track surface is not up to scratch, whichever layout is used.

"It's not that we don't want to race, but we cannot," he said.

"[Whether it's] the Formula 1 chicane, they remove the wall or we come back to corner 12 with more room - we cannot race like this, it's impossible, it's dangerous."

NO RESURFACING PLANS YET

Contacted by Autosport, a circuit representative said organisers "haven't decided anything" about potentially resurfacing the track.

"We will have to wait for the FIM report after the Grand Prix, as every year, and then we will make a decision on it."

Previous article Scott Redding's MotoGP future with Pramac out of his hands for now
Next article Ducati's Dovizioso says Mid-2016 mindset change helping MotoGP form

Top Comments

Latest news