Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Feature
Formula 1
Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Adelaide reveals official MotoGP layout, will host 2027 Australian GP

MotoGP will be racing in Adelaide next year, with an official announcement made early on Thursday

2027Adelaide

Adelaide 2027 track layout

Adelaide will take over from Phillip Island as host of MotoGP's Australian Grand Prix in 2027.

The Government of South Australia and MotoGP Sports Entertainment presented the project for the street circuit on Thursday, with the event led by South Australia premier Peter Malinauskas and Carlos Ezpeleta, chief sporting officer of MotoGP Sports Entertainment (formerly known as Dorna), one of the company’s most senior executives following its recent acquisition by Liberty Media. 

The announcement came just one day after confirmation that this year’s Australian Grand Prix, scheduled for mid-October at Phillip Island, will be the last to take place at the iconic venue set against the Tasman Sea. 

Read Also:

In recent months, the Government of Victoria had been in discussions with championship organisers, who proposed moving the race to Albert Park Circuit in Melbourne, home to the season-opening round of the Formula 1 world championship.

However, Jacinta Allan's administration never seriously entertained that option, paving the way for Adelaide’s bid to gain momentum. 

So now, beginning in 2027, the capital of South Australia will add another major international event to its annual calendar, joining LIV Golf. The city will also return to hosting a grand prix event – this time in motorcycle racing – at a venue that previously staged Formula 1 races for more than a decade, from 1985 to 1995. 

The proposed layout measures 4.195km in length and features 18 corners, with MotoGP bikes expected to reach top speeds of approximately 340km/h. Located south-east of the city centre and extending through Victoria Park, the Adelaide circuit will become the first fully urban venue to host a MotoGP round. 

Mika Hakkinen, McLaren

Mika Hakkinen, McLaren

Photo by: Sutton Images

The newly announced design incorporates several sections of the former layout, including the Brabham main straight. However, various segments have been reworked to suit motorcycle racing requirements, removing incompatible features such as the right-angle turns linking Wakefield and Flinders streets. 

A 20-month preparation period now begins, during which the local promoter will oversee the necessary works to have the circuit ready for its debut in November 2027. 

“This is a great achievement for South Australia and further proof of the strong momentum our state is building. We can now compete with the rest of the country for the world’s best events – and we are winning,” Malinauskas said. 

“Hosting the world’s first MotoGP race on a fully urban circuit will give Adelaide a unique opportunity, one that will undoubtedly attract visitors from interstate and overseas,” added the Labor leader, who estimates MotoGP could generate an annual economic impact of around €130million for the region.

“This is about much more than a world-class event – it’s about driving economic activity for our state, supporting jobs and positioning South Australia on the global stage.” 

“Bringing MotoGP to Adelaide marks an important milestone in the evolution of our championship,” Ezpeleta added. “This city has a world-class reputation for hosting major events, and the opportunity to develop a purpose-built circuit in the heart of the city is something truly unique in our sport.” 

“From the outset, we ensured that safety was the absolute priority. Every element of the circuit has been designed to meet the highest standards of modern MotoGP.”

Previous article Adelaide bids to host MotoGP’s first-ever street race after Phillip Island exit
Next article Aprilia steps up efforts to sign Bagnaia for 2027 MotoGP project

Top Comments