Subscribe

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

McLaren F1 driver Alonso: IndyCar test will not decide 2019 plans

Fernando Alonso says his IndyCar test taking place shortly after announcing he will leave Formula 1 is "coincidence" and will not influence his decision to race in IndyCar next year

Autosport reported earlier this month that Alonso would likely test a 2018 Indycar with support from Andretti at Barber on September 5, following IndyCar's race at Portland this weekend, which has since been confirmed by McLaren CEO Zak Brown.

Alonso then admitted during his World Endurance Championship weekend at Silverstone that the test was an "option" before McLaren confirmed on Friday the private run would take place.

The McLaren driver said his IndyCar test was scheduled months ago, meaning it is not linked to his post-F1 future.

"It's a bit of a coincidence that I announced I was leaving F1 and now I'm doing this test, but it was scheduled for months and therefore people are talking more about it," he said.

"I like to test all kinds of cars. Last year Andretti wanted me to test the car with a road track configuration.

"We had no time, and this year we have the chance, but it's not a key day ahead of next year to decide whether I do it [IndyCar] or not.

"It's just a test to have a bit of fun and to see what the cars are like with a normal configuration.

"But my decision for next year will not be based on Wednesday [the test day]. On Thursday I won't have a clearer picture.

"More or less I have everything decided in my head."

Alonso has previously stated he will not make a decision on his post-F1 future until "maybe October", although IndyCar had already told Autosport that it was working with McLaren on an expected two-car programme with Alonso as one of its drivers.

The finer details of the project are yet to be revealed, although a Chevrolet engine supply is expected despite Honda's keenness to work with Alonso again.

The IndyCar test is likely to be conducted with Andretti support at the venue where he first experienced IndyCar, having visited the Barber race weekend in the build-up to his 2017 Indianapolis 500 assault.

The 2019 IndyCar calendar, which is yet to be released, is not expected to clash with his remaining WEC commitments with the Toyota LMP1 squad.

Be part of the Autosport community

Join the conversation
Previous article IndyCar Portland: Sebastien Bourdais, Will Power top practices
Next article IndyCar Portland: Power leads Penske qualifying 1-2, Dixon flounders

Top Comments

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe