Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

George denies merger is close

Tony George made a rare appearance on television Tuesday to dispute to a recent story in the Indianapolis Star that indicated he and Kevin Kalkhoven had reached an agreement to share ownership of a unified open-wheel series

 George, president and chief executive officer of the Indy Racing League and Indianapolis Motor Speedway, called portions of the Star story "entirely fabricated," adding that a merger is so far from reality that it's "not even worth talking about."
 
The report, published on Page 1A of the Star's Sunday editions, indicated George and Kalkhoven had completed the initial stages of agreement on unification and would share some races in 2007.
 
"It's so far from being close to being done, it's not even worth talking about," George told Indianapolis television station "Where they came up with not only the headlines but the story is a bit beyond me."
 
The report that the two series were prepared to share races, including two in April, particularly rankled George.

"That is a story entirely fabricated by the people who wrote the story," George said.
 
George indicated the two sides are talking and working toward unification, but bringing the two series together is not as close as has been reported.
 
"We're going to get back together here in a few weeks, but certainly nothing is imminent," George said.

"We've got a lot of work ahead of us. We're still getting to know one another, still trying to understand one another. My sense is it's going to take a long time. ... It's not going to happen anytime soon."

Previous article Significant progress in merger talks
Next article Wheldon takes Kansas pole

Top Comments