Junqueira set for second year
Brazilian Champ Car racer Bruno Junqueira is expected to be retained by Chip Ganassi Racing for his second season in the US single-seater series, according to this week's AUTOSPORT magazine
The 25-year-old, who came to CART after winning the Formula 3000 International Championship in 2000, had been in fear of losing his drive. Team boss Chip Ganassi told Junqueira and his former team mate Memo Gidley back in September to look for other opportunities for 2002. But it now appears Junqueira will be given a reprieve and will line up alongside new signing Kenny Brack.
"Ganassi are a very good team and it will be very good next year because now I know the tracks and the team and I think I can make a lot of progress," said Junqueira, who won a single race in his rookie season at Road America.
Ganassi told AUTOSPORT that he wasn't ready to make an announcement on who his second driver would be, but added that he sent Junqueira to test at the Sebring road course before Christmas and that he believed the deal would be completed eventually.
For more news on Ganassi, see this week's AUTOSPORT magazine, on sale tomorrow (Thursday).
Share Or Save This Story
Subscribe and access Autosport.com with your ad-blocker.
From Formula 1 to MotoGP we report straight from the paddock because we love our sport, just like you. In order to keep delivering our expert journalism, our website uses advertising. Still, we want to give you the opportunity to enjoy an ad-free and tracker-free website and to continue using your adblocker.
Top Comments