Zanardi Stays on Road to Recovery
Former Grand Prix driver Alex Zanardi, who came out of a coma last week, is now out of danger in hospital following his high-speed crash at a CART race in Germany 12 days ago, doctors have said.
Former Grand Prix driver Alex Zanardi, who came out of a coma last week, is now out of danger in hospital following his high-speed crash at a CART race in Germany 12 days ago, doctors have said.
"His healing process is continuing in a satisfactory way," said Walter Schaffartzik, medical director of the intensive care unit at the Berlin hospital where the 34-year-old former Formula One driver is being treated.
"He is in a good mood, despite the severe injuries he has sustained and he is optimistic. We have to keep following the situation day by day before deciding when he can leave the intensive care unit."
Zanardi had both legs amputated in an operation lasting over three hours following his accident on the official European debut of the U.S. racing series on September 15. His wife, Daniela, has been by his side in hospital ever since.
The Italian driver, who was out of Formula One for nine months after his 1993 accident in a Lotus during practice for the Belgian Grand Prix, returned to CART racing this season after a two-year absence. He embarked on his CART career in 1996.
After winning the Rookie of the Year award, he won the championship in 1997 and 1998, becoming only the third driver in the history of the series to claim back-to-back titles.
Share Or Save This Story
Subscribe and access Autosport.com with your ad-blocker.
From Formula 1 to MotoGP we report straight from the paddock because we love our sport, just like you. In order to keep delivering our expert journalism, our website uses advertising. Still, we want to give you the opportunity to enjoy an ad-free and tracker-free website and to continue using your adblocker.
Top Comments